Yakima Skybox-what size should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jazzy_james

Reaction score
Planning on getting a Yakima cargo box for the roof. Wondering what size would be best for me. Don't want a big box nor a small box. Yakima has a 12, 16, 18, and 21 cargo gear boxes. Should I get the 16 then? What is the most common size for the LR3? Thanks for any help...

roverall

Reaction score
Planning on getting a Yakima cargo box for the roof. Wondering what size would be best for me. Don't want a big box nor a small box. Yakima has a 12, 16, 18, and 21 cargo gear boxes. Should I get the 16 then? What is the most common size for the LR3? Thanks for any help...

I have the 21, which is large. I only have this size because I had young children and need the room for strollers and thibgs. When my children get older I will size down to an 18, but I don't think I would go smaller then that.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should get the 16, no question. But only because I know nothing about you or your needs....Also, you should get a thule box and not a yakima because for some reason I think you like the letter 'T' better than 'Y'.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the 21. It's a big box, but works well for me. I figure that if I'm going to need a box at all, I might as well have one that holds everything. But part of the items I haul in it include a large Ez-Up, and a bunch of semi-disassembled RC Gliders with 65" wing panels, plus tents, fishing poles, sleeping bags, treking poles, skiis, fire wood, dirty/wet clothes, etc....

I personally would not go any smaller than the 18. It's always easy to put less in it, but it's hard to fit more in a smaller container... :)

One thing to consider though, is where are you going to store it when not in use. The 21 is pretty big, and my garage does not have any overhead rafter space to hang from.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My family and I go camping often. We have the Yak 18. It works great. One thing to keep in mind. The roof carrying weight is not much. 150 to 165 pounds I believe. With to much weight topside, I would get a bit nervous. The glass roof can be replaced. . .but at a cost in the thousands not hundreds. Also, the 18 doesn't limit any rear window gate opening nor stick out over the windscreen. After having the box for a few years, I would buy it again. Not to small not to big. 18' long is pretty darn long.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah...the 18 is 18 cubic feet, not total length!

As for the weight, I suggest not mounting it to the glass roof? If you buy the load carrying accessory bars from either Yakima or Thule, you can signifcantly increase the weight. With my roof rack (Hannibal), have had well over 300 lbs up there. The vehicle certainly handles differently, and you need to be mindful of your adjusted center of gravity, but the capacity is fine...as long as your gross vehicle weight is still within parameters.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, had "18" on the brain. It is about 8' long not 18. If I recall, the 21 is wider thus possibly limiting the amount of stuff you could mount on the side of it. (In my case canoe/kayak, etc.)

Yak makes Landing Pads that lock into the roof rack rails. They are great. However, since LR makes a big deal about not exceeding the roof carrying weight rating of approx 150-160lbs, I am not sure I would put 300+lbs up there. I am not sure of the physics involved, but it seems like that could put a lot of stress on the roof system of the LR3 itself. Since the glass roof is by design a stressed memeber of the system, it seems like it could add a bunch more torque and yaw to the roof mounting points with 300lbs swinging away up there. That then has to be transferred to the roof frame, which I would worry would twist the beams and possibly torque the glass.

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 18 and love it! Actually, I'm willing to sell it as I haven't used it in quite a while. I don't know how I'd ship it, but let me know if you are interested. This would include everything pictured here - the landing pads, control towers, cross bars, and ski rack - and everything is keyed the same.

Attachments

• Yakima system (Medium).JPG
    Yakima system (Medium).JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4