Rear bike rack - no hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jenson

Reaction score
Anyone has any experience with bike racks that attach to the back w/out the hitch? I am looking at Thule ones (found a few that 'fit' on Thule website), 9001, 910, etc. They look kinda flimsy but due to a very short notice I dont have time to get the hitch from the dealer and get that kind of bike rack, or the roof rack for that matter. Has anyone used these w/ LR4?

thanks.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youtube Thule 964. That is the LR official swing away rack. You need the rear towbar 2" hitch but the rack when tightened is extremely solid. Not sure about non hitch racks.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump... I'm also looking for a rear bike rack that doesn't require a hitch. I don't ever plan on towing anything so it seems like a lot of money to get the tow hitch installed just to mount a bike rack.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you might be able to make one work on the back of the LR4, I have seen them on other SUVs. The big problem with them on the LR$ is the double hatch/tailgate. Once you put the bike rack on there, you have completly lost all access to the rear of the truck unless you take the whole thing off.

Another concern I would think about is how low the bikes will sit on the rack. The LR4s rear bumper (lowest resting place of the bike rack) is fairl low. Once you get the bikes on the rack, the bike tires may scrape the gound with drive way transitions and such.

I have one of those hitch mounted cargo haulers for when we go on vacation and it will scrape the ground when leaving driveways and even leaving some gas stations with steep transitions to the road. I'm not saying you will have that type of issue, but it is something you may want to think about with one of the racks you are looking at.

I have a Thule T2 rack that is hitch mounted. I would say it is one of the easiest racks to work with for bikes. I have never had a problem scraping it on the ground. For access, I can lower the rack even when bikes are on it and still get intot he back of my LR4. I have a fairly expensive bike (Specialized Carbon S-Works Stumpjumper FSR) and I dind't mind spending money on a good rack and the hitch needed. Here is a picture:

CIMG0015-1.jpg

Rob

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried one of the rear mounted (non-hitch) bike racks. Got a quality one from REI. After one use, it was obviously not up to the task.

So I immediately returned it and got the LR hitch and LR branded Thule swing-away carrier.

The OEM accessory bike hitch is great. Very heavy duty, and can easily hold 3 bikes. Takes less than 5 minutes to install the hitch and rack when needed.

IMG_2104Small.jpg

Jenson

Reaction score
JackMac - how much did the whole thing cost, the hitch and the bike rack? thanks

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to check the receipts, but it was around $700 for both.

Last edited:

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried one of the rear mounted (non-hitch) bike racks. Got a quality one from REI. After one use, it was obviously not up to the task.

So I immediately returned it and got the LR hitch and LR branded Thule swing-away carrier.

The OEM accessory bike hitch is great. Very heavy duty, and can easily hold 3 bikes. Takes less than 5 minutes to install the hitch and rack when needed.

IMG_2104Small.jpg
JackMac -- I would be curious to know how you attached that small bike to the bike rack. Doesn't look like you are using an adapter bar for the small mtn bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM