The dreaded "Bump Stops"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been much stated on this forum and others about being "at bump stops" for one cause or another.

What exactly does this mean? Any failure I've ever gotten has either put me at Normal height or Access height. Is there really truly something different and has anyone ever experienced it and measured it? Meaning...have they really just been put to Access height and are using words loosely by saying "bump stops?"

Has anyone experienced this while using the rod-mod? How does that impact the (suspension) setting that the LR3 would dump to?

Let's discuss!

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me...there is definitely a lower height than Access Mode! Red Fault Failure number 1 happened when I was snow wheeling. I think it was a build-up of ice between the A-arms than caused the fault. It was packed solid, so when the vehicle sensed the inability to change height, it freaked out and slammed me down to the stops.
Fault number 2 resulted from a Dealer repair in the rear sensor wiring harness. They did not make any provisions (shrink tube) to keep the bare wires as corrosion proof as possible. Electrical tape. Really??? The wires finally broke into two parts and the Fault was administered. 1 year and 2 weeks to the date of the original repair. I year warranty on labor. Again...really?
It feels like you're riding on soft-ish hockey pucks. There is zero suspension. I drove along the hwy shoulder as slow as possible to see what I was dealing with. I had brand new 275/65/18's and they rubbed only when I jarred the vehicle on a bump. The wheel wells barked as the plastic liner and rubber scrubbed. The vehicle is NOT disabled if you are on smooth road. A trail situation would be a nightmare.
A rod mod will not effect the final outcome. The relationship of the stops and a completely purged air canister remains the same.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can take a picture for you next weekend at the bumps if you want to see just how low it will go. My first and only bump-stop failure happened when I punctured the right front strut. That brought the front to the bottom eventually Which I drove out on the trail stacking a ton of rocks....Eventually the rear dropped also but fortunately it was after about a 300 mile drive home. It really isn't a pleasant experience. Rods have no effect in a bump-stop situation.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They rub in the rear right at the little bulge in the front of the wheel well. Not so much now that they are almost worn out but definitely when they were new. I have little holes worn in on each side that I am positive would've been much worse with a bigger tire. I have since pounded the steel rib over so I don't have to worry about slicing the tire open should it happen again..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM