Simple 3 amigo fix. Always try this first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkster

Reaction score
I was looking at all the advice posted on the 3 amigos recently and came across responses from Disco Mike (the Disco Master), he provided a similar answer on one of his posts but I took at a bit further. I've had the 3 amigos on and off for the past 2 years. Disco Mike mentioned something about brake dust causing issues with the hub sensor so I hosed both sides of each wheel, climbed underneath and got every bit of grime and brake dust off and let it dry overnight. It been a month and over a 1000 miles and haven't seen it since.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now that you know what the problem"IS", better get some new brake pads, like the Akabono ceramics, that don't make dust cause it will happen again and it will most likely come back as a hard fault code that will need parts and a scanner to clear the lights.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better then some pads but there are better, like the Akabono ceramic pads, last longer stop better, no dust, no squeaking and they won't throw the 3 Amigos.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thought applies for LR3's as Discovery's? Re: Akobono brake pads? I think that was the gist of one of the other post threads; maybe Ryan-in-Oregon raised that point.

hawkster

Reaction score
I'm going to take Mike's advise and buy the Akebono brake pads. Should I stick with OEM Rotors and Calipers ?

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Had Akebono brake pads on my OEM rotors and the dealership claims they ended up warping the rotors. Had to get the brake pads replaced a lot sooner than expected but have held off (though will in a month or two) getting the rotors done - all back over to OEM. Dealer would have covered the rotors if they were OEM. Not sure what happened but something to think about.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pads did not warp your rotors. I have over 60,000 miles on my Akebono which are running DBA slotted and drilled rotors with over 115,000 and they are still in great shape.
I believe your dealers sold you a BS story.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did question them and they've been honest and truthful - as far as I can tell - on other items. They're a small LR dealership in NH, not a glitzy one. But it did seem very odd to me. Regardless, I've got an issue now that has to be resolved and since I don't have the space, tools, or time to work on these things myself, nor a reliable known LR mechanic in my area, they'll be most likely be the ones to fix it.
Disco Mike, you had service manuals and downloads for the other D2's and earlier LR3's/D3's but do you now have the ones for a 2008 LR3 HSE? I haven't looked in a few years.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer will charge you a fortune to replace your rotors and pads, PM me your number and I'll walk you thru this very simple process.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72