Tried to get my suspension fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a mechanic within walking distance and he was supposed to be a Land Rover expert. They did have land rovers there and I dropped my LR4 off this morning, but they wouldn't align the car after replacing the A-Arms. He said I didn't need to and I didn't believe him. The oil change cost is stupid and he wasn't shooting straight so I didn't get the loose suspension fixed as I had hoped.

At least now I know that is not the place I could have gone to get my car fixed lol. My problem is I need a ride when dropping off/picking up and those uber ******* want to hold onto my CC. The only way to remove my CC in uber is to add another CC. F them. I rented a U-Haul truck instead since I live right next store to one when I needed a parts run when the LR4 was getting the crossover pipe done. Uber wanted $20 for one way and I got to drive a new Silverado, do burnouts, race people and get my parts for $38. All on my own time and I didn't need to wait on anyone lol. It was a lot of fun.

VJgk61b.jpg

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW- Last oil change at my LR mechanic was $275 total ($119 labor...less than an hr.). Yes, it should be 8L and 0w20 is spec.
The Liquid-Moly 'Leichtlauf' is good stuff...about $42 retail for 5L, but Liquid-Moly also makes a Special Tech LR 0w20 (or 5w20), it's a few more $'s though. It's uber (no pun) cheaper to do yourself. Then again, there's your time and convenience.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one in California or Texas needs a 0W lol. LR squeezed another .001 MPG on the EPA test dropping from 5w-20 on the V8s.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One benefit to taking my LR4 to them was they checked the oil level and said it was a 1/2 quart low. I had just changed the oil last week and put 2 quarts of Lucas oil treatment in there to try and quiet the noise since the engine has a problem. The oil level was full at that time.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's probably 1/2 a quart suspended in the engine when they checked it.

Why not check the oil level yourself?
Available through the message center.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Seriously, do the oil and lower control arms yourself. Get everything from FCPeuro.com and it's lifetime warranty, including the oil.

Oil changes on this is stupid easy, remove oil cap, insert "Fluid Extractor" tube on the tube, hand pump fluid extractor to extract fluid until "empty", remove/replace oil filter, remove fluid extractor, add oil, replace oil cap, warm it up, and shut it down for 15 mins to check oil level. Why pay someone $100+ in labor?

Here's a video from Umberto, a former mod of this forum:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the oil level this morning after letting it sit a bit longer than 10 minutes and it measured 1/2 qt low.

Doing the control arms myself would save money, that is a great idea. I'd still need to have it aligned but at least the clunk would go away. Are parts from FCPeuro different than the dealer parts? The local Land Rover parts guy gives me discounts so I won't need to pay full price.

I called another shop today for the engine replacement and found a shop that would install a reman w/improved chain components for $17k. It doesn't make sense for me to put money into the engine I have now other than to patch it along until the new one is in. The new shop doesn't have an opening until October, plenty of time to save.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72