Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. So do I purchase a 90x15 or 89x15 flute?

I went with the 90/15 flute and it works fine. Don't forget the torque wrench unless you already have one. I went with this one: Neiko® 03713A 3/8-Inch-Inch Adjustable Torque Wrench, 10-80 Foot-Pound | Chrome Vanadium Steel.

Good luck and have fun!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
89/15 is the right size, if you have a choice get that one. 90/15 will work as well with just a tiny bit of play - as long as your cap is not over-tightened to begin with (one of the many things I'd be afraid of if I took my car to a Jiffy Lube-type place...)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can change the LR4 oil faster than you can drive to one of those horrible quick lube places. And you know you did the job correctly. Just did mine yesterday and it took 20 minutes. Buy Mobil 1 5W-20 at Walmart ($23 for 5 gallon bottle) and oil filters from Atlantic British ($25 each).

To transport the used oil to a local recycling center, I pour it from the Mityvac into one of those orange 5-gallon Home Depot buckets. Be sure to buy the matching lid.

Does anyone know who makes the $25 AB filter, and/or how it compares to the MAHLE Original OX 774D Oil Filter I get from AMZ for just under $30?

PaulLR3, good idea for the used oil. I had a low, flat used oil container with the big round cap and plastic screen. When it started to leak I went the cheapie route and have been using empty windshield washer fluid jugs and even the big plastic containers that hold my wife's storebought ice tea. Not as easy as a single shot to fill up a HD bucket.

TXLR4

Reaction score
all good and well to be able to change it yourself, but you either have to go to the dealer, buy the expensive IID tool, or pay someone with a tool to reset the annoying oil filter reminder...

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all good and well to be able to change it yourself, but you either have to go to the dealer, buy the expensive IID tool, or pay someone with a tool to reset the annoying oil filter reminder...

I haven't seen that notification in nearly 2.5 yrs of ownership and ~48k miles driven. Must be because I'm changing my oil at intervals that are more frequent than factory recommendations.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On newer model years (I believe 2014s+, but don't quote me on that... it was definitely implemented after my 2013MY) there is a procedure that allows resetting of the oil change reminder without diagnostic tools. It's detailed in the shop manual and I am pretty sure I posted the procedure somewhere on this forum a while back.

PS - Here it is: www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25667

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the $25 AB filter, and/or how it compares to the MAHLE Original OX 774D Oil Filter I get from AMZ for just under $30?

No idea, but it sure looks identical to the OEM oil filter. AB sells both OEM oil filters and their brand. My gray LR4 is out of warranty so I switched to using the AB filter. My wife's LR4 is still in warranty so I'm still using OEM filters just in case any engine issue would develop.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea, but it sure looks identical to the OEM oil filter. AB sells both OEM oil filters and their brand. My gray LR4 is out of warranty so I switched to using the AB filter. My wife's LR4 is still in warranty so I'm still using OEM filters just in case any engine issue would develop.

Thanks. I'll just call and ask them next time I need one. I actually thought that the fiber weave on the AB looked a little different than the Mahle but that is hard to verify on a web photo. And even if it's different, that wouldn't tell me if it's better or worse. My gut would be to trust the private label (or generic) item that AB sells. I was only wondering if anyone had ever determined the manufacturer.

pabs406

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the input. The oil change seems quite simple. I'm expecting the parts on Saturday. However, now I'm confused as to what type of oil to use. I don't want to have any issues, but paying double the price for OEM oil seems a little out there. I've seen many people using Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-20. Any issues with this? Has anyone used Castrol Edge Extended Performance Full Synthetic 5W-20? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the OEM oil? Thanks again for the support!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using Mobil1 5W-20 exclusively and have been pleased with the performance. I rationalize not using OEM oil by the fact that I change it every 7500 miles or less-- far more frequently than LR guidelines. In fact, changing your own oil is so easy and enjoyable that you'll look forward to some "me" time in the garage when you do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72