Picking up new LR4--what should I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought a NIB OEM hitch receiver for $400 shipped. Ouch. But I need it fast, and I'd decided I didn't want an aftermarket one...guess I'm learning fast you you gotta pay to play with the Rovers.

Where'd you find it new for that shipped price? That's pretty good.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same deal here on my LR3, I needed a hitch fast so I opted for the dealer since they were in stock. I was able to get the dealer down to $424.00 which was the best delivered price I could find online at the time. $400 seems decent to me for OEM NIB, but in the relative sense you are describing, yes, "ouch" is a common Rover owner word :argh:

Last edited:

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same deal here on my LR3, I needed a hitch fast so I opted for the dealer since they were in stock. I was able to get the dealer down to $424.00 which was the best delivered price I could find online at the time. $400 seems decent to me for OEM NIB, but in the relative sense you are describing, yes, "ouch" is a common Rover owner word :argh:

I noticed that there is a jar of vaseline in the glove box of the new rovers. Anyone know why?

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste $$$'s on a factory hitch/plow. First, it is literally a plow sitting so low. Fitting oversize tires into the spare location requires them to be deflated. With wedge/pins and locks, will require winter maintenance.

Get the Rhino hitch from http://www.differentialpartsus.com. Raises the receiver hitch to normal height, rated class 4 (although you will be attaching it to class 3 equipment) and does not protrude into the spare tire area like the factory hitch. (pic on LR4)

StillDisco

Reaction score
Here's the hitch; the seller still has one. Ships free. Seller has 100% feedback and hundreds of sales. Don't even need an eBay account. I ordered late, late last night and just got a tracking number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Tow...ash=item210e5cf6ab:g:uiMAAOSwDNdVr7wz&vxp=mtr

As to the aftermarket options, I reviewed quite a few and the Rhino certainly has some big pluses, but it is still in the same price ballpark. The OEM hitch is removable, and will stay off when I'm not towing. The main selling point for the OEM one to me is the method, strength, and utilization of the original design of the hitch adapter. I don't like the idea of even the possibility of it working loose when towing.
Not to mention, when I get a new vehicle, I will almost certainly be able to sell my used OEM hitch adaptor for at or very near what I paid to have it delivered to my door new.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Rhino hitch from http://www.differentialpartsus.com. Raises the receiver hitch to normal height, rated class 4 (although you will be attaching it to class 3 equipment) and does not protrude into the spare tire area like the factory hitch. (pic on LR4)

I appreciate these comments from owners who have actually installed the Rhino hitch. I find a lot to like about it in terms of design and attachment concept, plus its height vs OEM receiver. To each his own, but I also like that it has a relatively lean profile when installed. To me it is cool-looking and after dressing it up with a nice LR-branded hitch cover I would be happy to leave it mounted full-time. I assume that the large difference in drop vs the OEM receiver just means a different draw bar?

It seems like a safe bet that a Rhino hitch would also have a good resale value.

Any other realworld feedback now that you have installed and used it? TIA.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the OEM plow I had to size the draw bar at an appropriate "rise", basically upside down. With the Rhino the draw bar was in normal config, or drop. With the LR4 I don't use equilizer/anti-sway bars to pull a 19'/5000# TT.

Overall it will be nice not having to install/remove/store the OEM hitch. And for camping or any trailer use I had to pull the spare (285/60-18), put it in the load space and tie it down as it would not fit inflated or even mostly deflated. The tires are load range E so that might be the issue. In any case done with that exercise.

No other feedback yet as it is still snowing here in Colorado! Expecting 8" by tonight.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the OEM plow I had to size the draw bar at an appropriate "rise", basically upside down. With the Rhino the draw bar was in normal config, or drop. With the LR4 I don't use equilizer/anti-sway bars to pull a 19'/5000# TT.

Overall it will be nice not having to install/remove/store the OEM hitch. And for camping or any trailer use I had to pull the spare (285/60-18), put it in the load space and tie it down as it would not fit inflated or even mostly deflated. The tires are load range E so that might be the issue. In any case done with that exercise.

No other feedback yet as it is still snowing here in Colorado! Expecting 8" by tonight.

I can understand why the Rhino is such a solid solution for you given your former hassles. Installation just requires a few wrenches? Thanks for the add'l feedback. Enjoy the snow!

PS: I have read but have not been able to fully visualize the conditions that require notching of the drawbar. Is this only with proprietary equalizer/anti-sway hitches?

Last edited:

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rhino installation is wrenches only. Will check torque after a few pulls.

Never heard of notching the drawbar. I originally towed the trailer with my RRC LWB / 4.6L. Did use an equalizer. She was not a happy camper. :) The LWB was happy to see the LR4 arrive and take over those duties. Now she is my DD and enjoying life. Sold the equilizer.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste $$$'s on a factory hitch/plow. First, it is literally a plow sitting so low. Fitting oversize tires into the spare location requires them to be deflated. With wedge/pins and locks, will require winter maintenance.

I hate forums that make you register just to see pictures. Can you attach the fitted LR4 pic here so we can see it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72