advice for prospective LR3 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tboard24

Reaction score
I've been looking for a while to purchase my first Land Rover (05-06 LR3) and have tracked one down in Memphis that seems to be a pretty good deal. I plan to head that way tonight (5 hr drive from AR) and look it over and hopefully drive away with it tomorrow. After test driving it I plan to have it inspected by someone who specializes in Euro imports in Memphis.

I've chatted briefly with the salesman and he tells me they sell extended warranties through ASC Warranty. He quoted me $1050 for 3 year drivetrain plus coverage. This looks like a pretty good deal but I've only glanced at their website and don't know a ton about LRs so hoping you all could help me out. I've included the links to the car and warranty site below.. Does this coverage price sound too good to be true? I'm sure there are plenty of loopholes in 3rd part warranty fineprint..

http://www.wolfchaseautosales.com/2005-Land-Rover-LR3-SE-Tennessee-38133/5278983

https://www.ascwarranty.com/asp/customers.asp?ID=100002

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help you with the warranties, I have never purchased one myself.

But make sure you get a list of what maintenance has been performed. You may be able to take the VIN to a Land Rover dealer and they can print out of list of what was done at a LR dealer.

Have the inspector take a good look at the front suspension. Most of us have replaced control arms, bushings, tie rods, front hubs and other suspension parts by 80K miles. These add up to about $3K to replace.

It's more important to buy a used LR3 that was well maintained than one that was neglected but comes with a warranty.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you plan on using this Rover for, how mechanical are you and have you ever owned a 4X4?
the 05 and 06 were really full of problems, both electrical and mechanical.
If you really plan on buying this vehicle go have a pre-purchase inspection by a good Rover mechanic so you don't buy a truck full of problems.
The truck you are looking for does it have the H.D. option with a locking t/case and rear dif?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks really clean from the photos. Hopefully there's a positive correlation between the exterior condition and what's under the hood! Good luck with the research and (possible) future purchase.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be a "FOOL" if you buy that vehicle because it looks good

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For once I agree with Mike! Make sure you do a thorough job ensuring that things have been well cared for. I don't know that the '05s and '06s were really that much more problematic than the later MYs....seems like by the time LR really figured it out, they released the LR4; typical, huh?

Besides the suspension hardware, make sure to check the working condition of the EAS compressor, the rear hatch the EPB, and most importantly the diffs. Take it for a ride and listen intently for any humming noise. Check for dampness on the passenger floorboard, too.

Really aside from those items, the other stuff is pretty simple and inexpensive. A sensor here, a brake switch there. No biggie.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case, if I was cruising along at say, 45 mph or greater, every time I would step on the throttle, I'd hear a moderate "roar/hum" kind of sound. It was slightly higher in pitch than the engine and it would consistently come on and go away with throttle. I realize that you aren't as familiar with the LR3's sounds as I am after owning one for 9+ years. I'm not sure how to help there...

...some folks on this board have recorded sounds, especially suspension knock sounds. Maybe someone has a recording of a bad diff "hum."

Anyone?

vince217

Reaction score
what does the humming noise mean then? does it mean the diff is about to go bad, or simply fluids need to be replaced?

thanks for the info and advice!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could mean either. In some cases a fluid change has made the sound go away....in some cases, not. For me, I wound up getting mine replaced, mostly because they were under warranty. I guess I'll never know what would've happened if I'd simply chosen to live with the whine. My LR service guy tells me that eventually they would lock up or strip out or whatever.....stop functioning anyway!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72