advice for prospective LR3 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my rear differential was on its way out, I kept looking for something stuck around my rotors and calipers. To me, it sounded like a metal on metal grinding noise... felt like an idiot when I took it in under warranty and said that my diff needed to be replaced. I was way off!

vince217

Reaction score
thanks for the advice regarding the humming... ill try to take a video of it tonight.

czar

Reaction score
Just some advice from someone new to LRwho just purchased 2 LR3's. I'm certainly no expert on these trucks but have about 20 years of experience working on cars. I looked at a bunch of these. First thing I did was run car faxes to see if maint had been done. The two I bought had religious maint done by LR dealers. Second, make sure you have a sense of how they should drive. A few I looked at had been well maintained but the motors weren't pulling hard, the suspensions were nearly shot, etc. Huge difference if you knew what you were looking for in the ride. If you don't know LR's well and/or don't have much mechanical experience, have someone else look at it as has already been suggested and be prepared to walk away.

Fyi - as far as warranties are concerned, any useful ones that you'll purchase will easily be in the $3-7k range for these trucks depending on year, mileage, and what they cover.

Last edited:

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some advice from someone new to LRwho just purchased 2 LR3's. I'm certainly no expert on these trucks but have about 20 years of experience working on cars. I looked at a bunch of these. First thing I did was run car faxes to see if maint had been done. The two I bought had religious maint done by LR dealers. Second, make sure you have a sense of how they should drive. A few I looked at had been well maintained but the motors weren't pulling hard, the suspensions were nearly shot, etc. Huge difference if you knew what you were looking for in the ride. If you don't know LR's well and/or don't have much mechanical experience, have someone else look at it as has already been suggested and be prepared to walk away.

Fyi - as far as warranties are concerned, any useful ones that you'll purchase will easily be in the $3-7k range for these trucks depending on year, mileage, and what they cover.

CarFAX is OK, but Autocheck is much more in depth. I almost purchased a car for my 17 year old with a clean CarFAX earlier this year. I ran it on Autocheck and it showed the car had been wrecked and had frame damage...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99