2005 LR3 Transmission Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wwneal

Reaction score
transmission fault codes: PO735 gear 5 incorrect ratio, PO783 3-4 shift, Uo167 Lost communication immobilizer control module. Dealer of course says "needs a new Transmission". 135K miles, any suggestions on repair? Been very good vehicle on and off road. Thanks.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the HDC or ABS warning light come on as well? If so, try a new brake light switch first. About $30 and easy to replace.

The HP26 transmission is used in many vehicles and has good reliability. But if do need a new one, I noticed that Atlantic British sells remanufactured ones, which may be a good idea on a vehicle that is already 9 years-old with 135K miles.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TGD500560RK

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@neal, ever change the tranny fluid? Or are all 135k miles on the original juice?

Also, does it drive any differently?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a garage in Dallas that has a used one for sale, that would be your cheapest option. I've got a brand new in the LR crate one. They are expensive.

Dropped a line to my transmission guy to see what he thinks.

Last edited:

wwneal

Reaction score
has trouble downshifting to accelerate, and /or down hill then uphill gear change. Will then skip a gear down and stay in that gear, transmission fault alert and amber light on. Stop, turn off engine and restart clears the system temporarily. Will get around town driving gingerly, but avoid quick accelerations.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fix can be simple and cheap.

I would take PaulLR3's suggestion and first change the brake light switch. The odds are the problem is bigger than that, but the fact that a restart clears matters for a bit suggests a software glitch, not a tear down.

The link below has additional detail, and yes, the brake lights will be working OK even if the switch is defective; also did you change any rear tail light light bulbs recently or install non genuine?

Are all the bulbs working back there? Yes, it can be that simple.

http://www.bit.ly/11MyYA6

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does "has trouble" mean exactly? Not trying to be a pain; just curious...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guy said at least it might be the megatronics, maybe worse. Have you checked at a local ZF Authorized Transmission shop?

wwneal

Reaction score
trouble: meaning finding the correct gear, skips and then settles into a high gear with the transmission fault alert. Stays in that gear until you stop, turn off engine, restart and start over.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Sounds like more than the brake pedal switch to me. I hope you can get a reasonable resolution. Please report back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72