265/65/18 BFGoodrich All-Terrains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the 265/65/18 BFGoodrich All-Terrains this week. Looks pretty good. Doing the math, they are only 2 millimeters taller than the 285/60/18 Nathan and others have been running. I went with these, because the BFG seems to have a gnarlier tread, the width is about 3/4 inch narrower, for a litttle more dig and bite through the snow we face around here, and honestly, I've used BFG before and just have a pile of faith in them. They've taken me through everything back when I had my FS Cherokee. Anyway, now you have even more choices in the big tire department.

How does it go? I've lost a little snap out of the throttle, which is to be expected. Stopping takes a little more too. Remember, you are adding about 20# per wheel additional rotating mass to the braking system, but it isn't anything huge, just a change. Clearance is not a problem at all in the front, and the rear rubs on a little bump in the front of the wheel opening about halfway cross the tread. But just a little bit, and only when making a hard-core quick turn that leans the body into it. I suppose that it would rub that driving in access over bumps too. No problem, that shield is open @ the bottom, so anything that gets in there will leave anyway. I may hit it w/a heat gun to see if I can warp it inward. The thing that really suprised me is the the ride and handling. The ride is stiffer, and part of that is tire pressures, but steering response tightened up. Those Goodyears were like driving in slush compared to this. I reckon it is due to the stiffness in the 3-Ply sidewall. I can detect just a little road noise, but nothing huge. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied. Well, except I'm stuck to the house this weekend and can't take them out. Damn!

I posted a picture in the gallery too.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new shoes Davez26. I have been looking into these tires but am
stuck on one thing. Will the spare tire fit under the vehicle even aired down?

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spare will fit...

The spare will fit w/ a little work, I had it aired down to 25, and then raised it up slowly, giving it a little help with shoves until it went up. Once up, I added another 10 psi. That sounds like a lot of work, but I figure I will need it sparingly, and if I need to air down the spare and maybe the other tires when I use the spare, that isn't a big issue. I'm sure that it will come down a lot easier than it went up. In theory, I won't use it much anyway.
The spare sticks below the hitch deal an inch or so, (I'm uploading a picture to the gallery). It may be dumped on from time to time, or maybe not, now that the vehicle is 3/4 inch taller, and has a pile more traction to take the routes that won't drag the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it! Let me know when you are ready for some true rock sliders :)

BTW> where your tire rubs in the rear there is a metal fin that projects out from the body. Once you wear through the plastic wheel well, you will want to trim that back with a sawsall or similar. Other than that, you should have no problems.

AFM968

Reaction score
I'm curious how the ride is with these tires. They are a 10 ply "E" rated tire which would indicate it's made for carrying heavy load on a heavier truck. The dealer felt they would be way to stiff . What have you found?

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It feels a little stiffer, true, but not by much. The truck rides a little soft to begin with, and the tires tended to square it up a bit. The increase in ride feel isn't bad in my opinion.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey davez26, how are those BFGs working out for you on the trail??

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They've been okay so far. I haven't had a chance to go deep, but on some of the lighter stuff close to the house they have been awesome. During the last heavy snow we had here, they kicked butt.
I've used these tires before and have been impressed, I'm sure that when I get a chance to get really out there, I will be impressed all over again.

chomondely

Reaction score
I am looking at the GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armour At in the p275/65 R 18 with an OD of 32.1 inches and a width of 11 inches. Based on your use of the BFG's, do you think I will have any clearance problems?

BTW, Goodyear catalouges a 265/60/ 18, almost the same size as the orginal on my 6 cyl LR3. However, I called GY and they stated that they did not have any production plans for this size.
My Wrangler HPs are cupped at 14,000 miles. The dealer performed an alignment. I did not ask for an adjustment on the tires. I was afraid that might put the same poor tires on. I need something more robust for off the road.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chomondely said:
I was afraid that might put the same poor tires on. I need something more robust for off the road.
Awesome dude! I reccomend the Nitto Terra Grappler AT's in the 265/60/18 size. I have them on my V6 LR3 and I go EVERYWHERE with them. They are quite on the road, grip tenaciously in the rain, and are an excellent off road tire.

100143403-M-3.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99