Aux Input and Ipod - NEW UPDATES problem solving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have 2006 LR3 Base with 1cd head unit and AUX channel, minus the center console aux in and 12volt....

i've noticed several discussions with hardwiring and tapping into the port in the back of the head unit...

has anyone found an adapter made yet to make this more OEM? if not any better ways out there for me to hardwire up my unit? detailed would be awesome... im going nuts listening to FM and Burning Cds..... (and cant fm transmitters!)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several suggestions for accomplishing this on www.disco3.co.uk.

By far, the easiest way is with a FM transmitter that plugs into your cigarette port and craddles your iPod. Just tune your FM radio to an open channel and viola~!

Cost between $30-$100 depending on the model.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have had the fm trans.. but cant stand not having the hardline quality...

U

umbertob

Land Rover now offers an Audio Connectivity Module that "shares" the often unused AUX input of Disco/LR3s and RR Sports. It's not a cheap solution (the module is about $300 give or take, plus installation) but it is as close to factory integration as iPods will probably ever be on these cars... You will have some rudimentary transport controls through the steering wheel radio switches - although you'll still have to rely on the iPod display to see what's playing - and you will also be able to connect and playback MP3s stored on USB "jump drives", since the system includes an iPod docking cradle, a USB receptacle and a L/R RCA type input to connect other portable audio devices. I assume this kit would work with your setup, since you have an AUX switch on your head unit.

The user manual for this new accessory is now available online at www.ownerinfo.landrover.com, choose Disco3/LR3 and Accessory Fitting Instructions, then find "Land Rover Audio System Handbook - Accessory Fit" in the list and click on that link to open the PDF.

Here is a dealer selling this kit online.
http://landrover.niello.com/accessories.php?action=details&catalog_id=1469&category=60

Last edited by a moderator:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
allodial, not sure what you are looking for... tapping into the rear connection is the only "cheap and easy" solution without a FM transmitter. I documented that somewhere, as have others. Did you want something easier? (You could pay someone to do that if you don't want to get "dirty.")

The "official" accessory umbertob mentioned is a big rip-off functionality/price-wise, but it should work for you...

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for all that gave me a little help on this one... I just got done spending 15 freezing minutes in the cold kneeling on a concrete garage floor tapping a 3.5 stereo lead connector to 3 unused AUX wires that gave me the exact setup i have been searching night and day for.... If you have the base LR3 and want to hook up the AUX, its really super easy and works perfect, crisp loud noise, all working through the AUX button on the cd player. Below is the directions i found and used and there is also a link to pictures of the actual wires and spot ( although its a UK vehic and the images are a little backwards). If you ever need help doing this email me at [email protected].. i went a little nuts after realizing that i didnt have the stock aux input since my dealer told me i did and only after i drove it off the lot did i realize i didnt. Hope this helps.

Pictures link ( http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=267&pos=2 )
Below is the directions i used..

I know this question has been asked on a regular basis so I thought I would share the easy way to do it. I completed the job today in under 40 minutes with a pair of side cutters and a soldering iron. Here's how...

1. Remove the passenger side front kickpanel trim (unscrew the bonnet release handle first then pull firmly toward the centre console).

2. Locate the grey multiplug which is the middle of the three. (NOTE on mine the wires where actually going in the the back 3rd connector.. which was green)

3. Unplug the 2 halves of the connector and carefully remove the blue, red and black wires from the block (they are held in with clips so a small flat blade screwdriver should do the trick).

Note: These wires terminate here and are only used if the LR DVD system is fitted so you won't cause any problem by disconnecting them.

4. Using a standard commercially available 3.5mm stereo extension lead (Maplins etc) simply solder the lead into the red blue and black wires. Red and blue are left and right channel and black is ground/screen.

5. Route the cable to your chosen location (mine runs to the front of the centre console near the 12v lighter plug etc but you could run it to the centre console stowage box or anywhere conveniant)

6. Re-fit the trim plate, plug in the ipod or other aux audio source, enjoy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM