03 Discovery no spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Ben

Reaction score
Hi everyone, here's my problem. Disco was running perfectly, stopped for gas and now she won't start. At first, I though it was possibbly a fuel related issue, but after investigating a little, I found there to be no spark. Then without any modifications, she fired right up again. Got the vehicle back home (ran perfectly) turned off the ignition, then attempted to restart but it would not start. Then this morning it started just fine, but as you can imagine, Im a little leary to take it out on the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me,, please help...

also, when the car wouldn't start the service engine soon light was on, but went out after the car started. Could there be a code read if the light is not currently on.

Thanks Ben

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally no code if the light is off.

Check your Battery it may be going bad.

Don Ben

Reaction score
Dont think it would be the battery b/c its cranking over like a mad man

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How about your last tune up? When was it and what all did you have done?

rchavez03

Reaction score
no spark

check your crank sensor, had issues with crank sensor failure when vehicle is hot and usually operates fine when vehicle is cold.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks rchavez03... I wasn't even thinking crank sensor... that should be the first thing to check.

Don Ben

Reaction score
I replaced the crankshaft sensor today and now it won't start at all.

Is there any other tasks that need to be performed when the CKS is replaced? I read from another site that all adaptive valves will have to be reset when this is replaced.....is this something I can do myself or does it have to be done at a shop?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Ben

Don Ben

Reaction score
replaced crankshaft sensor now it wont start at all.

Is there any other tasks that need to be performed when replacing the CKS?

I read at another site that all the adaptive valves need to be reset....can I do this myself, if so how

Thanks Ben

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why the forum software flagged you post as spam... odd.

You do not have to reset adaptive values after a crack sensor change.

Ok, lets start with the basics... mileage, last tune up, type of plugs you are using. Any chance you got bad gas? The more details the better.

Don Ben

Reaction score
Ok, 03 Disco 65,000 miles bought a year ago so im not sure of maintenance records. However, I would agree that its probably due for a tune up. As far as the bad gas question, I dont think that would be the issue b/c its still lacking spark.

In addition, Im not getting spark on any of the cylinders. Could there be anything else? and do you have a wiring schematic for the ignition system. All the info I have, as far as troubleshooting needs to be performed with testbook, which clearly I dont have.

Once again I do thank you for all your helpful info

Ben

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99