03 Discovery no spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know your not getting spark.

Could be a wire loose at the coil pack.

sorry I have been out of town for a couple days and haven't check the forum.

Don Ben

Reaction score
I checked for spark by removing plug lead.....I have some tool that allows you to ground one end and adjust the gap to visually identify spark.

I only checked cylinders 1 - 4 ( 2 on each side) and saw nothing.

However, when the problem originally occured...at the gas station....I checked for spark on cylinder 1 first and had nothing. Then, began to check for spark on cylinder 2 ....at first there was no spark ( car would not start) Then the rover started and I was able to see a spark. So, I shut off the engine, put the plug lead back on and drove home.

I did notice when the plug lead was not on, and the vehicle started it was idling rough. Which leads me to believe that it's not just one individual cylinder causeing the problem. There is no spark at all.

Hope this is enough info...I'm just not used to working on this 03, my last one was a 95 Disco and was much easier to work on.

Thanks again

Ben

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Well you have ruled out the Crank Position sensor, which lead me to the coil pack.

If it were me, I would give Nathan a call a discountbritishparts.com tell him the issue and he may be able to help more over the phone. I know the D1's better than the D2's as well.

huntsman

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. For about 5 weeks now my 03 Discovery is intermittently refusing to start - it will crank just fine, but will not start on occasion. When it does not start, I'll have to wait (while re-trying to start it) anywhere from 2 - 45 minutes. When it starts up it runs perfect - no problems.

The dealer replaced the Crankshaft Sensor, but within 20 minutes of picking it up it refused to start again. I took it back to the dealer and after a week they could not reproduce the issue. Sure enough, the same day I picked it up it refused to start a number of times.

I'm not sure what to do with it now. Any experts who may have seen this before? Is there anything I can look at/look for/or check when it happens again that may provide a clue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be an alarm issue... try changing the batter in the remote or use the key to unlock the doors.

huntsman

Reaction score
Thanks Joey. I considered that and have used two different keys and tried unlocking the doors with the keys. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

I wonder if the new Crankshaft Sensor they installed could actually be bad? Seems like a longshot but a possibility.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
it is possible... or it is a wiring issue to the crankshaft position sensor

huntsman

Reaction score
The dealer has decided to swap in a used fuse box to see if that eliminates the problem. They are thinking the fuel pump is intermittently not receiving power during startup and causing the no start condition. I'll let you know how that goes.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy way to test that is to put a trouble light in the circuit and have the light wired at the dash from the hot and ground at the pump...

huntsman

Reaction score
Problem Fixed

Well the new fuse box eliminated the problem. It's been in a few weeks now and I have not had one non-start condition!

Very happy to have this one solved.
Justin

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99