06 LR3- Sunroof Left Open - Transmission Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i left the sunroof open Saturday night and we had a soaking rain. Start the LR on sunday and get a Transmission fault, won't come out of park, can't get key out. Started digging into the LR threads. Based on what I read- pulled console apart, pulled harnesses apart, dried everything out, cleaned connectors, used dialectic grease and hard reset (battery connectors linked together). Started it up today, came out of park and drives fine but still getting a Trans Fault read on dash and Sport/Manual shift won't work. Unsure of whether to let things sit and see if time heals all or if there is something further I should do? Any input is appreciated.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me and based on what you describe, it is likely the shifter assembly harness causing the issue. Water seems to run down that harness and very quickly short something out on the board. Did you pull that particular harness off? It is possible it is still a fixable situation, I happened to break off a pin when cleaning mine, so I never could test whether it was still functional after the cleaning. It could be the board gets shorted as well, so if you find that the harness is clean or that it still acts up after cleaning, you may need a new shifter assembly.

The 2 white arrows are pointing to the harness in question, you have to remove the 4 shifter bolts and lift up the whole thing to really see if there is any corrosion in there (see link below for 2 more photos). Note, at the time I was unsure if the shifter plate itself was the culprit (the PNRD plate) or the actual gear shifter - so I bought both. Using the new shifter plate on the old gear shifter did not change anything.

http://www.landroverworld.org/posts/160618/

lr3-center-console-2-pdf-small-jpg.5524

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the input- haven't had a chance to take a look. To confirm, you removed the entire shifter assembly? 4 bolts- top 2 visible in your picture. I'll review tonight and get back to you.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, those 4 bolts hold the whole thing down. If you remove them you can lift the assembly out as far as the attached cable will allow. It will not move too far out, but you can see much better and remove that harness much easier. The shifter cable is removeable from the assembly if you want to take it off, but it does take some good leverage and force to pop it off and there really is not a lot of room there to work.

The photos below show how it pops on the metal piece. To put it back on, you can push through the tiny hole on the side of the shifter. I presume there is a special tool for this, but anything will work if it fits in there.

20151024_120153.jpg

20151024_120348.jpg

roverLove

Reaction score
I got the same exact symptoms as you in my Rover and it was because I blew the glovebox fuse F33. Fuse keeps blowing again and again after replacing it, not sure of a fix.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99