06 LR3 Transmission Fault, glovebox fuse F33 continually blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverLove

Reaction score
Been having transmission fault problems with my truck since the battery died a few years back and lit the dashboard up like a Christmas tree. The dealer tried to charge me 7k for a new transmission to which I told them to go do ****** things to themselves. I had the car jumped(for the low low price of $400) and got myself down to the next nearest dealership who said I just needed a new battery.

So far I've replaced the battery + brake lights + brake switch + the F33 glovebox fuse in an attempt to fix the "transmission fault" problem. The fix lasts until the fuse blows and then the power seats/mirrors don't work properly. The manual transmission select works occasionally, but more often than not does nothing when I switch it from drive to manual.

Every time I replace the F-33 fuse all of the warnings disappear and I can use transmission select as usual. This is particularly mind boggling to me as I don't understand how the power mirrors and seats could possibly be influencing the transmission select.

I'm at a loss of what to do at the moment, and the only thing I have to go off of is the fact that only 4 of the five brake lights light up when I push on the brake pedal. (2 left side, center light, and only one light on the right side.)

Any help would be seriously appreciated as I can't really afford a 7k transmission replacement right now.

wdgiles

Reaction score
I would start by checking the wiring harness that is in the passenger (US, Right) side foot well. There are apparently some wiring splices in that area that can become loose or corroded especially if exposed to water from a leaky sunroof drain. I had this issue but mine was caused by damaged wiring on the wire loom for the coolant temp sensors directly above the engine next to the fuel rails.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at a loss of what to do at the moment, and the only thing I have to go off of is the fact that only 4 of the five brake lights light up when I push on the brake pedal. (2 left side, center light, and only one light on the right side.)

Any help would be seriously appreciated as I can't really afford a 7k transmission replacement right now.
To my knowledge, an LR3 has only three brake lights - the middle high one and one on each side at the top. The 3 has 4 taillight filaments - two on each side but on 2 brake light filaments.

Either you has a 3 that is different from most with respect to tail light bulbs or something is feeding power to that "fifth" bulb that should not be or the second one on the right side should be working as well.

I regard this as a big deal - something is wrong there. It may be the actual tail light bulbs. I would be replacing all four of them with LR dealer supplied P21/5 factory bulbs - in otherwords, not the far East ones you find in a parts stores.

Read my comments in the link below with regards to the P21/5 bulb file. To me, you have a variation of the defective brake light switch concern. In others words, the fix is cheap and easy; finding the problem, near impossible so start with the simple stuff. If replacing the bulbs does not resolve the concern, then replace the brake light switch. Neither is a waste of time nor money as eventually both will cause problems. After that, it is something with a wiring loom per the post above.

In summary, both tail light assemblies should illuminate the same.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

wdgiles

Reaction score
Hi bbyer, thanks for checking in. I have read many of your posts on various forums and your own site and they have been a real money saver for me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM