06 SE V8 Pre-purchase inspection today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm taking an 06 SE V8 that I am interesting in to the dealership for a pre-purchase inspection today. I am looking for some advice for specifics to ask them about.. Just reading through some of the threads here I have two items to ask about:

compressor software
sunroof leakage

Anything else I should be asking about? I did read the thread on LR3 problems, but I'm looking for any consistent issues that you guys know about.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not the best authority here as I just purchased mine as well. But here are the issues I need addressed once I go.

Clock spring for steering wheel----buttons don't light up horn bars don't word

Ticking on acceleration from under the vehicle--likely a small exhaust leak

airbag cover on wheel lifting along top edge

Tie rod ends check---slight wandering feeling on rutted pavement

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have them check the suspension bushings, this is the most common wear issue.

Since you aren't buying it from an LR dealer you'll want to cover your basis on TSB's (technical service bulletins). The sunroof problem was fixed by a TSB which has the dealer reroute the drain for the sunroof (from the factory in 06 it had a 90 degree bend in it which is prone to buildup with leafs etc and then overflow into the cabin) the retrofit removes this bend.

Also when you drive it over, perform a 'California roll'. That is, come to almost a complete stop (5 mph or less) and then accelerate as if you just ran a stop sign. Don't punch the throttle just a normal take off. If you feel like you were just rear-ended, you need the TSB that fixes this problem. If you feel a small lurch as you pull away, this is as good as this problem gets.

Check all four tires and make sure they are worn evenly.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Identify extent of that prior paint work at the dealer (used car manager has a paint thickness reader) or at an excellent indy body shop.
2nd tie rod ends, had 2 go in 16k miles.
TSB gets you new airbag cover upon complaint
Trans **** is software TSB
(good info on the roof fix from sean)
Condition of upper body attachment point for rear upper hatch shock thing, if shot it's a huge body work job to repair and not just the dampener.
Have them check the service records on the computer, may not print for you but can tell you dates and miles of prior service intervals and TSB actions.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have them check the suspension bushings, this is the most common wear issue.

Since you aren't buying it from an LR dealer you'll want to cover your basis on TSB's (technical service bulletins). The sunroof problem was fixed by a TSB which has the dealer reroute the drain for the sunroof (from the factory in 06 it had a 90 degree bend in it which is prone to buildup with leafs etc and then overflow into the cabin) the retrofit removes this bend.

Also when you drive it over, perform a 'California roll'. That is, come to almost a complete stop (5 mph or less) and then accelerate as if you just ran a stop sign. Don't punch the throttle just a normal take off. If you feel like you were just rear-ended, you need the TSB that fixes this problem. If you feel a small lurch as you pull away, this is as good as this problem gets.

Check all four tires and make sure they are worn evenly.

Thanks Sean. Unfortunately I didn't get your post before I went in for the inspection, but they told me everything looked really good. I decided to buy it and I brought it home that night. The report from the dealership said that the tires were wearing more in the inside. Is this something I can have them fix under the warranty? I noticed there was a TSB on tire wear. I am not sure how old the tires are, I am guessing they are the originals, but the car has 21,000 miles and the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires and they still have decent tread.

I also noticed a pretty big lurch when doing the "California roll" you were talking about. I also felt a smaller one that night. Is this a TSB for the 06 LR3? Are all of these TSBs covered under the warranty?

Thanks again!

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there was a fuel tank recall for 05 vehicles, but not sure if it was for any 06 vehicles too? If so you will want that one done by a LR dealer.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge all TSB's are fixed under warranty at no cost. The California Roll TSB certainly applies to the 06, I had it done to my 06.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carfax states that my 06's previous owner had the TCU program updated as well.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carfax states that my 06's previous owner had the TCU program updated as well.

Although I had to have that done twice to fix the lurching problem. I think a bunch of people on this site did too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9