11.2 Mpg!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

I know that the low fuel economy has been discussed here before, but I've now had my LR3 in for service twice for this issue with no resolution. I just hand calculated a little less than 11.2 MPG for mixed driving (40% highway) this weekend (the trip computer showed 11.8 MPG). That seems really out of line to me. I spoke w/ the svc mgr and he said he does not know what else to do (tried the Westchester Transport Mode Fix, etc.). I suggested replacing he ECU, even though he says that no faults are showing up.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what I can ask them to do? It seems that my dealer is starting to believe that we're coming to a dead end on solutions...

D

deanz

Not transport problem....Then What?

Understood...If you do not think it is a transport problem, then what might it be? Or, do you believe that getting 11.8 MPG is within the normal range? From what I can tell 11.2 is very low and I have not done any off-roading. Do you have any idead on what explains this low milage?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, based my my experience... it seems to be within the range. (See my posting; I did get your mileage 2-3 times.) But you are free to disagree. Anyway, you need to collect more detailed MPG statistics before worrying.

Cold temperatures and higher air density also cause worse mileage... you can see a drop of around 2 MPG. (Being in California, I don't get much excessive chill.) Also, check your tire pressure... keep them at the factory recommendations. (Maybe experiment with slightly more pressure.)

In the end point: We drive the heaviest vehicle of it's size. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

deanz

See your point

Grommet, as always, appreciate your perspective. Agree that I'll need more data points before any real action should be taken. I did think that it would have improved a bit more, given that the service department worked on it and said they were getting 16 MPG (mixed). I've never seen 16 MPG and I guess I'm at a loss of why they seem to get it when they take it to the shop...

L

lr305

AS grommet said, MPG depends on many factors. Temperature, tire pressure and altitude and driving speed are most relevent. I would suggest you test the truck on highway when the engine is warm. For my truck, I got 14.8 mixed driving when temperature was teens to 20s. This week the temperature got up to 50's I got about 16.9 on computer, no hand calculation yet, since we'll see snow again this weekend.
Good luck!

T

TR4Runner

Wow.... I had no idea that LR3 owners were getting such poor fuel economy. What are the EPA figures?

J

jackmac

TR4Runner said:
Wow.... I had no idea that LR3 owners were getting such poor fuel economy. What are the EPA figures?

US:
V8 - 14 city / 18 highway
V6 - 14 city / 19 highway

UK TDV6 is better.

Your actual mileage will vary, and will be worse!

Last edited by a moderator:

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just love saying this so excuse me if you have heard it before but the LR3 couldn't average 19 mpg falling off a cliff, the sticker is deceptive at best.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
askewed, but I have achieved 21 MPG on my V8... somewhat downhill and the breeze with me. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635