???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

paulbrapp

I was driving on the turnpike this weekend and the throttle would kind of give out, sputter. I wasn't accelerating just staying at the same speed. It happened a couple of times. I would have to let of the gas and press it again and it would be fine. Any help or ideas?

B

blitzkreig

paulbrapp where in the world are you?

I live in Canada and if you live in a similar climate it sounds as if your gas line may be freezing up. If you park at an inside garage, after coming out of the cold ... condensation may form inside of the gas tank. Then when you go outside once more, the condensation can freeze inside of the line and cause symptoms exactly the same as you describe.

1/2 cup of Ethyl alcohol (gas line anti-freeze) in your gas tank will fix you up. When it gets to -20C I regularly add gas line anti-freeze just as a precaution. If the line freezes up tight, and your engine stops running, just getting it unfrozen enough to start the engine can take quite a bit of doing...

Do not do this with diesel fuel. I think diesel has an additive already in the fuel so it isn't necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paulbrapp

I am in Pennsylvania.. It has been really warm here 50 degrees for a couple days now. I don't think my fuel line freezing is causing this problem. I will inspect it but I don't think I will find anything unusual.

Paul

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible VSS (vehicle speed sensor) issue. If this happens again, shift from 4 to 3rd via while maintaining throttle possition, if it goes away, you have a VSS that is going bad.... been running mine going bad for 20k, I keep a new one with me, just to cheap to change it till it doesn't work anymore..... or this summer which ever comes first.

P

paulbrapp

Thanks Joey, I will try if it happens again. Is that a reasonably cheap part to fix?

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Sergei has one for sale... Look under his posts. HTH

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635