15’ LR4 Roof Racks and equipment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wdalyinnh

Reaction score
So I think the Yakima towers I had on the 03 RR will work on the LR4, if only I could get those fir-tree fasteners out of the tapped holes. I have the special forked-tongue pry bar thing and still the mushroom cap just popped off the stem. Does anybody know if that's an M5 thread in there? Maybe I could at least start with the right drill bit. It's a good thing the guy who invented those things is dead, otherwise I might commit a crime - hmmm reminds me of that Howlin' Wolf tune.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to find a low profile racked that looked clean without the appearance of basket on my roof, i.e. small diameter bars . I took an LR OEM Expedition Rack that I bought off my LR service tech's personal vehicle. I removed the taller fairing and top rail and ended up with something my wife can live with. It sits about 3.5" above the roof.

The cross bars have adjustable eyebolts that slide laterally and provide a simple method for securing loads.

Down the road, when I inherit the vehicle full time, I'll fab up some rigid mesh so loading and securing can be done easier and without the fear of things falling onto the roof glass.

IMG_5811.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to find a low profile racked that looked clean without the appearance of basket on my roof, i.e. small diameter bars . I took an LR OEM Expedition Rack that I bought off my LR service tech's personal vehicle. I removed the taller fairing and top rail and ended up with something my wife can live with. It sits about 3.5" above the roof.

The cross bars have adjustable eyebolts that slide laterally and provide a simple method for securing loads.

Down the road, when I inherit the vehicle full time, I'll fab up some rigid mesh so loading and securing can be done easier and without the fear of things falling onto the roof glass.
That looks nice.
I probably wouldn't have gone that route if I saw something like it. I just needed a far forward bar and a far back bar, and cross bars. Seems like your solution accomplishes this.

I also looked at the link you posted and I agree, your version looks much better than the stock OEM exp rack. I never liked those.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congrats on the new rover!

check out frontrunner - I plus a bunch of other ppl have them. endless attachments, but loud at speed (anything over 55 and it roars a bit).

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/

I heave read that the Prospeed is super rad and quiet. And they now have a US distributer.

http://prospeed-group.co.uk/product-category/shop-by-vehicle/land-rover/discovery-4-land-rover/

plus endless other options.
I have done tons of research on this issue and I agree completely with this assessment. People who like the Front Runner really appreciate the ability to attach lots of accessories to the rack but dislike the noise at speed. The Prospeed is the best at keeping wind noise down at highway speeds if that concerns you. I already purchased a RTT and have been going back and forth on deciding between these 2 for some time. At this point, I'm leaning toward the Prospeed. Good luck!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the taller fairing and top rail and ended up with something my wife can live with.

I'm curious how you modded the Expy rack. Did you have to cut, drill out rivets, or just unscrew to remove the faring and top rail?

I have actually always liked the look of the OEM Expedition rack. It reminds me of a USMC flat-top brush cut on top of the Landy. Ooh-rah!

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how you modded the Expy rack. Did you have to cut, drill out rivets, or just unscrew to remove the faring and top rail?

Drilled out the rivets. Super easy. It was harder to find the rack itself. I didn't want to pay the $1800 plus prices you see online, they're getting harder to find. Took me almost 2 years to land a used one at half the cost.

Jazzy

Reaction score
Went with the Gobi Roof Rack (stealth). I picked the low profile stealth over the ranger due to the LR4 being my daily driver. Chose because I can walk all over the roof rack, which I always am when loading the LR. Based on it's chicken-wire like floor appearance, endless supply of hooking points for my ratchet straps, which alone is worth it if your going to use it. Portion over sunroof is removable. Comes with a free ladder. Hands down my favorite and absolutely most used purchase. Makes for great family pics as the whole fam can get up there.

I initially looked at Prospeed because I like the low profile look, but the Prospeed simply had too many limiting factors. Appearance is nice, but if you plan on actually using it a few times a month, convenience and usability win out, for me at least. Good luck.

IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_9849.JPG

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jazzy - you said you were leaning toward the Prospeed, but it had too many "limiting factors". Can you tell me what those were in your opinion. It's the rack I'm most likely to buy at this point and am curious about your thoughts. Thanks!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jazzy - you said you were leaning toward the Prospeed, but it had too many "limiting factors". Can you tell me what those were in your opinion. It's the rack I'm most likely to buy at this point and am curious about your thoughts. Thanks!

Not sure what the limiting factors are, but when I did a ton of research prior to purchasing, I found that the prospeed was the least limiting rack outside of a custom voyager. It's very low profile, which people think is a limitation...but there are over 60 bosses that you can use for tie down points, to create a retaining bracket around the rack....well...to pretty much do whatever you want as long as you are creative and have access to a hardware store... you can really accessorize the **** out of it without purchasing the prospeed specific accessories. I found that these 60+ bosses were pretty important to me (this is where others are different) as I use this rack for serious off roading/camping only 8 times a year. So...I wanted something that when it was time to go, I could easily add the accessories needed then easily remove them when I returned. This way I could go back to a quiet drive and clean look when I got back(it's a quiet rack.) As far as the actual prospeed accessories...amazing, very well engineered. I have the tire carrier for mine as well as the floor plates. All are easily put on and removed. And they store very well.

So anyhoo...just thought I'd throw my thoughts in there as I spent a bunch of time doing research before I bought one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72