1997 LR LSE Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
I have a 1997 LSE Discovery that just started overheating when driving at highway speeds. With the AC on, it seems to overheat more rapidly. It seems there is an issue with the electric condenser fans. They were running fine and seem to intermittantly run but not consistently. I don't believe they are bad as there are not any funky noises coming from them when they are running. Is there a connection or temp sensor that may be bad? My LR has 169,000 miles on it and I am the second owner (brother was first owner and had all service and warranty work done at Mission Viejo Land Rover). The engine seems to be running fine. The overheating problem does not seem to occur when it is cooler in the morning. I live in AZ and the afternoon temp are triple digits in the afternoons now. 3rd summer here and have not had this problem before. I have read threads about water pumps, clogged radiators, fan motors, etc. Please help...I love this vehicle and want to see it to at least 200,000+ miles...Thanks.

Bj

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
Well I have similar overheating issues with my '96. From all I have read here on this forum (and there is a lot-- great forum) there is a check list to go down and eliminate one at a time. My electric fans run immediately as soon as the AC it turned on and stop when AC is turned off. Seems ok. I think they are pretty much running full time as long as the AC is on. I have been unable to find information as to whether these fans are supposed to run full time or imtermittantly with the AC running. Does your dash guage show it overheating ? My dash guage never shows it overheating but it does overheat.

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
Is there some inherent flaw in the DNA of LR's to cause them to overheat?:) Just looking at this forum there are many threads involving overheating issues. And I recently went four wheeling with some folks in CA and out of three Rovers the 95 Classic had overheating issues. I own two Rovers that are currently both having overheating issues. I am saying this in a good hearted way as I love both of my Rovers but I havn't been an owner for more than a year. Just wondering:) Mike

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJ
If your electric fans don't come on within 1 minute or so, with the a/c on or with driving around town, then the first thing you do is replace them, This is a common issue with Rovers. Second you want to verify that your viscus clutch is working on the mechanical fan, if you know how. The other issue will be the radiator, they plug up badily and need to be removed and cleaned by a radiator shop, not by flushing it with the engine running.
Let us know what you find.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJ
If your electric fans don't come on within 1 minute or so, with the a/c on or with driving around town, then the first thing you do is replace them, This is a common issue with Rovers. Second you want to verify that your viscus clutch is working on the mechanical fan, if you know how. The other issue will be the radiator, they plug up badily and need to be removed and cleaned by a radiator shop, not by flushing it with the engine running.
Let us know what you find.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. If anyone knows a good (read Honest) radiator shop in Phoenix. Please let me know. Living in AZ, I have thought about putting a higher capacity radiator in. Any thoughts on that and a possible source for one that would require minimal modifications?

How do you test the viscous clutch? As the electric fans are so costly (over $300), I have read that a Toyota Corolla fan motor will also fit the Land Rover housing and is much cheaper..Unless, of course, someone knows of a less expensive source for the LR fan motors. Thanks again.

Bj

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
I read in another thread here that one guy was testing his fan clutch by taking a plastic bottle and trying to stop the fan when the car is at operating temperature. You should not be able to stop the fan that way. He also said put on a pair of gloves and just try to grab the fan but I am a litlle chicken to try that one.:)

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice. As I started the trouble shooting process with all of your guidance in mind, I started with the most elementary. The coolant was low. I topped it off and no more overheating. I have another query but I will post that on a new thread. Thanks again.

Bj

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9