2013 LR4 with overheated engine...what would you pay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That same scenario cost me $19,000 just an FYI.

If you’re on a budget, I wouldn’t even entertain the thought. If $$ isn’t really an object then proceed.

steevo

Reaction score
It'd be worth more than that, though. When done, it would be an LR4 with a known, worked-over engine that's ready to go, and not a used engine with 100k miles and an unknown history.
It would be worth more when it is done, yes. That wasn't the question though. I buy a lot of broken or salvage vehicles and was sharing one of the methods I use to price vehicles in worse-than-rough condition. I try to buy vehicles at a price that allows me to be into it for less than fair market value when I'm done. Seems silly to me to buy a broken car, spend the money, time and effort to fix it just to own it for the cost of a similar vehicle that would have required zero labor.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems silly to me to buy a broken car, spend the money, time and effort to fix it just to own it for the cost of a similar vehicle that would have required zero labor.

I certainly understand what you are saying, but what I'm saying is that, when it's done, the one you own isn't similar to one you can just go buy. It's much better.

That said, I'd price it the way you suggest. I value my time too much to mess with it if it's not significantly worth it.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be worth more when it is done, yes. That wasn't the question though. I buy a lot of broken or salvage vehicles and was sharing one of the methods I use to price vehicles in worse-than-rough condition. I try to buy vehicles at a price that allows me to be into it for less than fair market value when I'm done. Seems silly to me to buy a broken car, spend the money, time and effort to fix it just to own it for the cost of a similar vehicle that would have required zero labor.
What are the similar vehicles to the LR4?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the cash now for an engine, I just need an installer. One company said $17k, then two weeks later it went up $2k and they haven't even looked at it. Then he was dissing on Land Rovers and if that wasn't bad enough he won't tell me who he is sourcing the engine from. That is the second Land Rover repair shop that trash talked Land Rovers. I'm not giving them a dime.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the cash now for an engine, I just need an installer. One company said $17k, then two weeks later it went up $2k and they haven't even looked at it. Then he was dissing on Land Rovers and if that wasn't bad enough he won't tell me who he is sourcing the engine from. That is the second Land Rover repair shop that trash talked Land Rovers. I'm not giving them a dime.
I'd find a Land Rover specific shop if you can. Not a dealer, but an indy.

sdtim

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72