Hot Hood. Hot engine compartment. Hot grill.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Touched my hood and walked past the front grill and everything was really warm. Opened the hood and the inside surfaces were warm to the touch, to the point of being hot.

Engine seems to be running fine. Just had the oil changed and the coolant level looked good, still does. Took a black light and waved it around the engine. Didn't see anything that looked like glowing fluid drips or splatters. It's been warm outside, 75-80, but not terrible. Heat gage shows normal, pegged right down the middle. Know that doesn't always mean anything. Just started it up with the hood open to check if the fan was rotating, seems to be. Not super fast but not slow either. Kind of a moderate blur. I wouldn't think there was anything potentially wrong except for the fact that it's throwing off a lot of heat.

I've noticed this before on occasion. The weird thing is it tends to happen on shorter drives. I was concerned on my 800 mile, plus, round trip drive to Coeur D'Alene, ID, but at rest stops and gas stops the hood seemed normal temp to the touch. It's strange.

When I bought the LR4 this March, the fan clutch would tick on cold startups. It would do that for a couple minutes and then it would go away. Now I don't hear that on cold startups anymore. I wonder if that means the clutch has failed completely? Also, the front part of the engine compartment is the area that's the hottest. The flat metal ledge where the paint color sticker is located and across the entire front of the vehicle, from the outside edge of each headlight assembly, is warm to being hot to the touch.

Driving down the freeway at high speed, you might get more natural circulation through the front grill into the radiator and engine compartment. Maybe that's why I didn't notice heat on long trips. I have a cheapo knock off diagnostic tool by Autel. @Longtrail suggested it and it actually has picked up historical and Intermittent codes. Perhaps it could point to what might be the problem, even though it's a crude tool. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, again, in advance.

Last edited:

alldazed

Reaction score
If you want some more peace of mind install an ‘Ultraguage’ . It plugs into the obd outlet and sits neatly on the dash . It monitors about 60 sensors including coolant temp a lot more accurately than the dash gauge. It displays whatever you want it to and is on whenever the engine is on. Bought mine off Etsy for about $160 cdn. There are references throughout the forum on it.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
If you want some more peace of mind install an ‘Ultraguage’ . It plugs into the obd outlet and sits neatly on the dash . It monitors about 60 sensors including coolant temp a lot more accurately than the dash gauge. It displays whatever you want it to and is on whenever the engine is on. Bought mine off Etsy for about $160 cdn. There are references throughout the forum on it.
Interesting... I keep hearing about the ultragauge from other sites too and not just for Land Rovers for a few years now. Just never had a need for one, but maybe it's worth it. Is this the one, https://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Which model did you get the EM Plus or MX?

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great feedback. My wife is a bit of a hypochondriac. There was a time when she insisted that she needed a full-body scan to diagnose any medical problems (or potential problems) she might have. Now I know the feeling! ;)

alldazed

Reaction score
Interesting... I keep hearing about the ultragauge from other sites too and not just for Land Rovers for a few years now. Just never had a need for one, but maybe it's worth it. Is this the one, https://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Which model did you get the EM Plus or MX?
I got the EMplus. TBH I didn’t realize the other one existed. At the time I had trouble finding the plus so just got it. I use it in a ‘11 rrsc and monitor coolant temp, batt voltage, sc intake temp and boost level etc. You can set an alarm for high coolant temp etc and oil change interval too.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll be fine, I live in California and with my car being black I can’t even rest my arm out the window while driving. Combine sunlight with a hot engine and you’ll burn yourself real fast. The temps outside the engine don’t matter, as long as the temps inside the engine are good and your ac is cold, you’ll be fine. Don’t over think it. These cars will make it known if there is a problem and you’d know fast.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Las Vegas it has been over 120F (123F) and I have sat in traffic in that weather. I'm pretty sure that **** was hotter than hell with the full brunt of the sun bearing down. I can't touch any metal on the outside of my LR4 in those conditions or I'll get burned. The metal gets hotter than the ambient temperature.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72