1998 Disco gears not engaging when engine cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

somekid37

Reaction score
Hi all,

Full disclosure: This is going to be a difficult fix for the following reasons a) I know very little about cars (but am willing to get as dirty as necessary and smart enough to figure most stuff out if walked through it) b) I am in rural sub-Saharan Africa with no access to Land rover parts and mechanics that are great at patch fixes rather than major overhauls.

Here is my problem(s): I have a 1998 Disco with 90,000 miles which was fine until a visit to one of these mechanics for regular service. After it came back to me, the auto transmission lever will shift into Drive but will remain in neutral. After 3-5 minutes of pumping the gas pedal, the car will suddenly lurch forward and everything works afterwards. I do notice however that shifting is delayed when driving, with a bit of a "kick" when it finally does up-shift. When going up hill, the engine doesn't down-shift like it should so I remain at a crawl even pedal to the floor.

I have read a lot about flushing the tranny fluid and replacing it and the filter. Also, the transfer case is stuck in neutral and will not go into hi or lo. I can engage the diff lock (also only in neutral) but again, no hi or lo. Could this be the cause?

Please advise and be very clear with any lubricants or fluid I need to get my hands on due to the fact I am in Africa and western products are not available. If i need to take anything apart, fine let's do it because I trust your advice more than the shops here.

Thank you all so much!!

somekid37

Reaction score
The transfer case definitely shows neutral and the car definitely will drive after the aforementioned gas pedal pumping. I assume that is then a bad thing.

I will try your methods to unstick the shifter. Thanks for the reply.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Also if it is requiring pumping the gas to get it moving make sure you are full of transmission fluid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99