1998 Discovery Fuel Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

JUrban38

Help!! When My gas level gets to a 1/4 of a tank, my Rover stalls. I wait about two min. and it will restart. Will happen almost every 2 miles until I fill up.

Replaced fuel filter, didn't help. Currently in the process of checking the fuel pump, but am not sure how to remove the slip on gas lines. Does the plastic clips in the fittings have to be trurnned a certain direction? I don't want to pull to hard and break the lines. Looks like 2 plastic clips need pushed out to remove the tank seal and pull out the pump?

My thinking is, I must have purchased some bad gas and have contamination in the tank, or there is a small hole in my pickup line thats sucking air when my gas gets low. I 'm hoping there's some type of filter on the fuel pump?

Any help would be greatly apprciated

D

discomike

Joe,
I can't answer your question about the fuel ine cinnections but yes, there is a sock type filter on you fuel pump that can plug up.
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey Joe .. View the Fuel Pump Thread. Your symptoms sound almost synonymous to what my rover was experiencing or rather still is.
Good Luck, Mel

S

sfxgamer

Me Too

I have the exact same problem on my 1996 land rover disco SE. Did anyone fix this problem or find out whats wrong with it?

A

avonnied

just a suggestion, slap a fuel pressure guage on there when it is happening (preferebly at your house)..

if it is a fuelpump problem you easily be able to see it in the fuel pressure as it drops..

if it is the fuel pressure then you've narrowed it down to less components..

i'm new to the Landrovers, so can't really say what they would be (i just got my 2k Disco II on saturday) but from there you just track it to the pump or regulator.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sfxgamer, if you having the same issues as noted in the beginning of the thread it is the fuel pump.... get a new one before it dies completely.

D

discoinjapan

I had this problem last summer. For me, it was the fuel pump relay. After a few days diagnosing the fuel sys. at my friends garage, he finally was able to trace it to the relay(actually there were 2 of them). He told me I should change the pump out also, but havent been able to find the right pump with the same connections.(probobly have to order from the UK. Love that shipping cost!)
Any way the problem was fixed and it hasent left me stranded since then.
Get the problem fixed because it will start happening more often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112