1998 Discovery Repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Levens

Reaction score
I'm taking possession of a 1998 Discovery on Saturday. It has about 160k miles, and I'm not sure which series it is (hopefully for these repairs it wont matter, but I'll update as soon as I find out for sure).

I'm told it needs a new master cyllinder for the brakes and a new power steering pump.

Is there an online resource available I can check out (or can someone provide it here), for a walkthrough or atleast overview on the repair process? I'm relatively capable, and will have very capable help, but I would prefer to have the best idea going in what to expect possible on repairing both issues.

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.... Download the Rave. other than than... master cylinder isn't hard, power steering pump isn't hard.

The question is are you sure these are bad.

Welcome to the forum.

Levens

Reaction score
I'll be getting to see it tomorrow for the first time and intend to verify that both issues are legitimate.

Correct me if I'm wrong please:

For the master cyllinder, if I add brake fluid and pump the brakes there should be no leak, just a lack of pressure build up.

For the power steering pump there will be a groan type sound that will get more intense as the steering wheel is turned.

Is there anything else that is common among Discoveries around this ones mileage or age that I should specifically be looking for?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112