1999 DII // Newbie Sounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

capthook

Thanks for the info mike... I'm making a list as we speak. Is it easy to service the transfer case / diff? Just curious. Also, I'd like to get to this double cardan set of u-joints... do they loose their grease fittings? I sure don't want to take out that x-fer case or the trans....

What's a set of shocks + stabilzer running for the DII? I haven't noticed sag, or much sway the Rover was well taken care of by some Marin-ites (north of the SF bay) who never took it off road. Basically it was a kid-hauler, we're ready to use it on the weekends for what it was meant to do. Kick Jeep Putowee

Honestly, I haven't been running premium in it since I picked it up but I will now. After doing some reading I've found the 4.0's valves have a sticking problem? If you use poor grade gasoline, that is.

S

SteveA

The factory front drive shaft joints do not have greasable fittings. That's what Mike is talking about. When those joints go bad, the drive shaft has a bad tendancy to break. When it breaks, it can fracture the case of the t-box or transmission. Bad news!!

Look around on the site and you will find lots of info on springs and shocks. There are a lot of different places to buy them. Plan on $700+ for a good set of shocks and springs all the way around. Do some research on what will work best for you. I'd recomend a mild 1.5-2" lift, so you can get some larger wheels and tires without going overboard and needing things like radius and trailing arms, etc.

It is a good idea to use premium. Land Rover recognized the valve stick problem, but I think this condition is partly due to the valve stem clearances being too tight. Land Rover has come out with their own fuel additive to help keep the engine clean. It's recomended at each service.

Stephen

C

capthook

Thanks again Mike.. Got the sound figured out and everythings an A++ . Looking into the Optima battery this month as well as some other little toys + maintance. Thanks again for all the tips!

F

faisal_in_laurel

SteveA said:
Land Rover has come out with their own fuel additive to help keep the engine clean. It's recomended at each service.

Stephen

Where to get this additive? Dealer? Would Atlantic British have it?

D

discomike

Capthook,
Look for the battery at Costco, they are $99, cheapest I have found anywhere.
Faisal,
Lucas products are sold at most big auto part stores like Kragan, I know Napa sells SeaFoam and most high line auto dealers sell B&G.
Mike J.

S

SteveA

I'm not sure who else has the LR fuel additive other than the dealers. I would think Atlantic British or Rovers North should have it or be able to get it.

D

discomike

I have yet to hear of anyone raving about Rovers fuel additive, I don't believe it is that good compared to others on the market.
Expedition Exchange does carry it if you want to buy from someone other then the dealers.
Mike J.

B

blitzkreig

Believe it or not I have found that Wallmart has the best of batteries for the cheapest. Here (Calgary) they sell Everready truck batteries for less than $90. I bought one last year for my Econoline Truck.

D

discomike

If you are going to be bouncing around off road you should use a styrdy battery and the Red tops are a gell battery with lots of power and they won't drop a plate if they bounce too hard.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112