1999 DII // Newbie Sounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

capthook

Okay, let me first explain that I am new to the Land Rover and that this DII is my first. I've always loved their rugged appearance + purpose, and now I enjoy my Rover more than anything.

Only problems are (and they might not BE problems)

> When in a mud pile, or other off-road situation that gets a little hairy the TC light comes on and the car makes a slight 'tick' noise from the driver's side. Sounds like its comming from the dash but I could be wrong. Is this normal?

> After leaving the mud pit (just a puddle really) the other day I noticed a 'wurrrrrring / clicking' sound from the pass. side wheel like something was stuck in there and making sound. Sprayed the wheel down good + took it out again but the wheel still makes noise around 30-40mph. Any suggestions?

Again, I'm new to rover- these could all be normal! Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SteveA

The TC light indicates that the traction control system has kicked in. Perfectly normal in slippery conditions. There is a noise associated with it as the system uses the ABS to apply brake pressure to a spinning wheel. You will hear the same noise when you have to slam on the brakes. Sometimes, you may hear a similar noise on start up as the ABS does a self-check.

As far as the noise from the rear wheel, I wouldn't be surprised if something has gotten stuck between the brake disc and the backing plate. This very common, but is not a serious problem. You may have also just picked up a large rock in the tread of the tire. I wish I could hear it, as it probably would be easy to pinpoint.

Good luck, and enjoy the truck.

Stephen

C

capthook

Thanks so much Stephen. I was wondering about the TC thing, as it does make the same sound @ start up. Normal Normal Normal.

Kewl.

As for the rock stuck between that rotor + the back plate -- I was thinking it might be that too. I'll jack it up today, take that wheel off + inspect. Thanks again!!

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rover makes all sorts of funny noises, but none of them have been a problem for me...yet :) Welcome to the club. I have gotten very good information here and everyone is very helpful.

D

discomike

Welcome to the group, I also have a 99 D2, great truck.
They will work hard for you and occasionly throw a little fit just to see if you are paying attention.
How many miles on your truck, do you plan to do some or all the maintance, if so don't be shy, get back to us if you have any more questions.
Mike J.

C

capthook

There's 54k on my baby, I'm hoping to see 150-200k out of her so I figure talking to the real Rover guys is the way go. Plan to pretty much do all the maintance myself since I've never been too happy with the way others treat my babied ride, but if you throw a factory rover-tool into the repair mix I guess it's going to the dealer. Bought the RAVE CD from an ebayer and couldn't be happier with all the info I got for 7 bucks. I suggest doing that (any rover owners) who haven't bought any repair books for their LR, it's cheap + full of info you'll need.

I noticed this truck uses 'O.A.T.' Radiator fluid.... no Prestone for my rovie, eh? I went to the AutoZone today + NAPA autoparts but neither of them carry the stuff. Any clues on where to find the pink-ish red stuff?

Thanks again guys, I appriciate all the help!

D

discomike

Do you have any of the past maintance records for your Baby? At your mileage, you are ready, especially having bought it used , to start doing some maintance.
Do you have the owner manual and service manual?
I can suggest things that will not let you out of your garage for one entire Saturday if and when you are ready.
Mike J.

C

capthook

Yeah, it's had it's dealer service up to the 50k mark - now just off of the dealer warranty. I've heard that the 60k service is a 'real' one with lots of points to check / replace. I've got the owner's manual + service manual on the Rave CD, isn't that the same thing? If not I guess I need books.

Would love some tips to loose my weekend with, I want this truck to be in tip - top shape. Thanks Mike

D

discomike

JUST REMEMBER YOU ASKED FOR IT.
I did my 60K about 5000 miles ago, I did it because I want my truck to last along while and do what I ask of it easily.
This is my list as such, change it anyway to fit your thoughts, it is just the way I maintain mine..
Plug wire replacement, Magnacor 8mm.
Bosh Platium Plus 4 spark plugs
Air filter, I us a K&N
Coolant flush
Brake flush, with synthetic brake fluid
Power steering flush with synthetic fluid and Lucas additive
Service both diffs with Gls rated 140 wt oil or at least synthetic oil
Service T/case with GL6 or synthetic 90 wt. oil
LOF 20/50 Castrol Synthetic Blend and Lucas synthetic stablizer and K&N #3001 oil filter
Transmission service with filter, Lucas fluid and additive
Decarbon engine with Seafoam or B&G's 44K

All that plus the usuall inspections and tweeks needed.
This may sound extreme, but it is alot cheaper the having the dealer do it and my truck is left in better shape afterwards.
Let me know if you have any questions,
Mike J.

D

discomike

I forgot to mention to inspect and lube you drive shaft, also inspect where the front drive shaft hooks to the t/case. There is a double cardan set of u-joints and probably don't have grease fittings, have them replaced as soon as you can, they will fail and they will take out either the tranny or the t/case with it. make sure that when you replace them that they are servicable.
Also, if you are still running factory shock and stablizer, they are probably pretty warn out, may want to consider a set of OME's and improve the trucks handling.
Some where up around 80K plan on replacing the O2 sensors to regain some lost power and always run preiumn gas except when you can't.
I may think of more later.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112