1st post, 3rd rover, LR3-6 purchase dilemma-repost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

redrover

Hello to all. I posted this on in the intro section a week ago when I first joined and got only (but good) response from Hurdy. Hoping to get more feedback in the LR3 section. Hope many can advise.
I have put over 100k on both my series I, and II Discoveries. I have read many mixed reviews on the 8, but very little on the 6. I am considering purchasing a 5k program (loaner) LR3-6cyl. (leather,cold weather package) from my so far trusted dealer as soon as I sell the II. The price is right, but I welcome any advise or experience with the 6 cylinder vehicle, either new or 5k program car. I do some light short distance towing, and we pack 4 Rotties in the back. Thanks in advance. Fred -out-

A

avick

Where do you live? City? Country? Mountains? Did your SII get it done from a power perspective?

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The V-6 does ok on the interstate. I don't know about towing though. There is plenty of room for your dogs in the loadspace.

R

redrover

Thanks for the get back. Live on shore of eastern Long Island NY. The SII got it done everywhere. I used to pull good sized stumps out of the ground with it, same with the 97' SI, which by the way I miss, and liked more than the SII, though I can't put my finger on why. We just moved a few miles away and I will not be pulling any more stumps. The program cars at my dealer are 6Cyl., and I must admit an interest in even slightly better mileage. They do not come with the trip computer and that is fine with me as I have been using my Garmin GPSIII for about 7 years and love it because it is easy to use and I can take it on the water as a backup. I may just get a new larger screen Garmin and be done with it. My dealer has put my name on a blue/alpaca 6 which will be available in about a month. I need to ask him about any drawbacks such as with the warranty, etc. I do some distance driving up and down the coast about once/month, and of course we do get one or two good snow falls every winter. I am seriously looking for every good reason to buy it. It is going to cost me a few bucks on the difference between what I owe, and what I can get for the II which, by the way checks out in good to excellent condition. 114K, no dents, clean shinny paint, all dealer records etc, etc.

Quick funny story. I was at a car wash years ago with the SI. I used to travel out to this wash in the "Hamptons" because every time I went their I could not swing a cat with hitting a Ferrari, Rolls, etc. All fun to look at. In front of me on the wait line is weekend renter from Manhattan obviously quite impressed with his new mercedes suv (not the confused Gender Wagon) The one that looks like a bar of soap. He looks at me and arrogantly asks "why in the world did you buy a Range Rover when you could have had one of these? ( he thought the SI was a Range Rover) I looked at him and said for anyone else to hear " I did'nt know mercedes made a mini van". That was the end of that discussion. -out-

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
redrover said:
Quick funny story. I was at a car wash years ago with the SI. I used to travel out to this wash in the "Hamptons" because every time I went their I could not swing a cat with hitting a Ferrari, Rolls, etc. All fun to look at. In front of me on the wait line is weekend renter from Manhattan obviously quite impressed with his new mercedes suv (not the confused Gender Wagon) The one that looks like a bar of soap. He looks at me and arrogantly asks "why in the world did you buy a Range Rover when you could have had one of these? ( he thought the SI was a Range Rover) I looked at him and said for anyone else to hear " I did'nt know mercedes made a mini van". That was the end of that discussion. -out-

Nice. He probably wet himself. They will probably give you the remainder of the factory warranty with miles. They will probably give you the full amount of time though.

F

Freeflytim

What are they quoting you?? I hope not more than dealer cost minus $.25/mile, or less!

R

redrover

How do I find out what "cost" is, and are their any other negotiating tips I should employ? The results of this experiment could be helpfull to othyers on the site.
Thanks, -out-

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will find the StreetFinder lll will fit nicely on the little shelf where the Nav Sys goes and with the beanbag holder tucked in, it won't jump out on rough terrain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax