2 alternators in six months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
someone help me please!

I have a 98 disco and i'm afraid there may be some type of short a few months ago i was towing a small trailer and my alternator went out thinking back it may have been going for awhile and just finally died (my lights would dim and my tachometer would jump up and down) i figured the trailer shorted me and just had the alternator rebuilt

today while on the freeway my battery light went on and my tach stopped working i assumed the alt. went out and had the truck towed home... now i know that the alternator is dead i am curious to find out if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing it... now i've read some info that a bad "abs relay" may be shorting out the truck but i'm not sure i have had brake trouble in the past but i could never figure out what it was... if someone can point me in the right direction (or any direction) i'd really appreciate it.

If it makes a difference i do have an aftermarket radio installed and an amp with a subwoofer... but all of that wiring is fine. also in the past i have gone through lots of tail light bulbs but all of my fuses are fine.

Thank you

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be that the rebuild was short lived. If the battery or the circuit is going open that will fry an alternator as well. Check to make sure that all charging circuit connections are tight and that includes battery terminals. Best to replace the battery at the time the altenator is replaced. Opens are definitly just as harmful as shorts in a rovers charging system.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a cheap Alt... let me guess autozone or advance?

Reaction score
both times they were rebuilt once near los angeles this time locally in lancaster ca. its running now id just like to avoid having it go again if at all possible though this time i have a yr warranty i'll probably go ahead and get the replacement battery... anyone know if something with the brakes can be causing a short? my anti lock light comes on

98Disco

Reaction score
I have to agree with the other posters, rebuilt alternators just dont hold up they never last. I think buying from autozone while its probably a poor make also at least it comes with a warrenty

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah and absolutely never ever buy alternators nor any other parts( as far as I'm concerned) from world parts as they are junk. And please to remember an open is just as bad as short. Best alternator I've found was a bosch. And who cares about a warranty they're for people that buy junk. So you get a warranty that doesn't get you to work on time.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ABS light on a D1 is like a right of passage you will get one often. The ABS sensors go bad or get dirty and you get the Light.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the oil if there is any in your spindle housings that is why my abs lite goes on or use to. If your using grease forget my suggestion I guess. Before I changed out my seals, rotors and greased the bearings the abs lite would shine indicating I was low on spindle housing oil fill the housings and lite would extinuish. Lazy yes but I did get a round tuit.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM