Alternative sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realized the position of the JL covers the cargo tie down point. I need to think of an alternative or possibly keep it in t hat position you have, but put legs on it so the tie down is accessible. The RHS space under the glass looks like a good place, but $1k that would be more than I want to spend unless it was $1k for the woofer and monoblock amp and I did the work.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue I have with the factory sub is that I need to apply a lot of power to get OK bass and the volume is too high at that point since my ears start to hurt lol. Beastie Boys Shambala is a great song for the sub as is Awolnation Sail.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realized the position of the JL covers the cargo tie down point. I need to think of an alternative or possibly keep it in t hat position you have, but put legs on it so the tie down is accessible. The RHS space under the glass looks like a good place, but $1k that would be more than I want to spend unless it was $1k for the woofer and monoblock amp and I did the work.

I spent $800 on my whole set up. I got the sub for $500 and got everything installed for $300 by a professional shop in California. I think the sub is more expensive now but if you did it yourself you could still do it for less than 1k.

Ofc again you lose a little cargo space and the tie downs.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a pretty good deal, especially for a Land Rover in California. The price of the sub went up and I'm sure labor has gone up too. I couldn't find that deal here in Viva Las Vegas. I went down to a local car stereo place that was an authorized seller of JL audio. The sales guy didn't think the 18" long JL box they had with an 8" driver which would fit in the small space between the tie down mounts on the floor would vibrate my chest like the Partybox does.

So I started looking around and on display they had a JL Audio box on the floor that didn't have any speakers sticking out. The box turned out to have down firing speakers in a ported box and that is clever because my **** in back won't poke a hole in the speaker. He called it a dual w0 linked here, it has 2 10" drivers in it that go down to 25 hz, but you can tip the box over and the drivers are exposed and it looks normal at that point. They look pretty stout. They also have a dual 12" version that looked even better.

But with that box I'd need to get a separate amp and he picked the JL XM 600 which I couldn't find on the net but I think this is it(XDM600/1) since I was talking about mono block amps and it looks familiar. He suggested 600 W and up will be good for what I want. Parts only which includes a line converter, amp, quality wiring kit and the box with two tens is $1,500. I'm really tempted now because I can't get my audio fix at home since I'm in an apartment now lol.

Ideally I would rig up an audio system that can playback music without having the engine running. That's what the Partybox brings and it has enough bass, but the issue with that thing is when I stop the music stream (pause it or stop it), the speaker goes to sleep after x time. To resume playing I need to access the speaker and hit the power button. Even if the unit is plugged in via 120v power cord. Stupid asf lol.

Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It gets input from the factory sub wires and since the factory sub is in the tailgate the wires are all right there so it was super simple and can be hidden behind the plastic paneling in the rear, unfortunately like you stated you do lose cargo space that you may need for big adventures. You could always unscrew it from the carpet to have that room again but then you get no sub so it kinda defeats the purpose.

There was another member on this form that built their own enclosure into the side of his vehicle so he didn’t lose cargo room, let me see if I can find you the thread where he showed photos of it.

As for the sub it’s badass. Sounds great, the bass is super low and clear. My cargo situation was also aided by my roof rack so it made a bit more sense for my build.

I'm thinking I might sacrifice the cargo room and get a 12" JL ported box, an amp and a bass level control. I need bass lol. Where did they run the positive and negative wires to the amp from? Did they draw from the battery?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weren't you sleeping in the back of your rig? Will a sub box cut into your living space?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I might sacrifice the cargo room and get a 12" JL ported box, an amp and a bass level control. I need bass lol. Where did they run the positive and negative wires to the amp from? Did they draw from the battery?
Positive is routed from the battery and then grounded to one of the ground points for the taillights. You don’t want to ground anything to the battery negative terminal because it messes with the charging system.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weren't you sleeping in the back of your rig? Will a sub box cut into your living space?
I'm in the city now, downtown Las Vegas where the music is loud. I might sell the equipment or put it in storage when I go back out into the country so that I can use the space to sleep and store more important gear.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Positive is routed from the battery and then grounded to one of the ground points for the taillights. You don’t want to ground anything to the battery negative terminal because it messes with the charging system.
I might get a quote for a shop to do it. I'm not sure where to route the power cable through the firewall. I heard there might be a way through via stub for a clutch pedal on the passenger side (USA). Where did they go through the firewall on your rig?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JBL came out with a PartyBox Ultimate with 2 9" drivers, 4.5" mids and a tweeter and I was thinking about getting it but saw the Partybox 1000 that has a 12" subwoofer, 2 7" mids and a tweeter. Both stream over bluetooth and the Ultimate does Wifi with major exceptions and terrible compatibility so I bought the Partybox 1000.

Its 87 lbs on wheels and it has similarities to the PartyBox 310 in the OP, but it requires the entire horizontal space in the back at about 42". It also requires a power cord and the PartyBox 310 has its own battery. The 1000 finally arrived yesterday and I rigged up an inverter to try it out and holy **** there is a lot of bass in some songs. Playing back Pink Floyd Mother vibrates the entire cabin. The seats vibrate, my chest vibrates and the Radio Shack decible meter measured 120db. The LR4 sound deadening constantly impresses. I step out of the cab, shut the door and can barely hear the music from outside.

The PartyBox is returnable with free shipping and I might return it because at low volumes its not that great and the bass is a little muddy. Then if I want to pull it out the cord needs to go with it, which might not be an issue with an extension cord that way I can jam while washing the LR4.

I might try going to a stereo shop and asking them what components I'd need to get the same bass levels with the factory unit. Then price that out and bump it up a few notches because that bass is deeply satisfying. I don't want to lose my hearing over it though lol. I'm not sure if I can get deep bass at a lower decible. I know with home audiophile grade equipment there isn't a need to go that high to get deep bass and good sound. More like 85 db is about right.

Attachments

• IMG20240420041154.jpg
    IMG20240420041154.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20240420040815.jpg
    IMG20240420040815.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG20240417031955.jpg
    IMG20240417031955.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Members online