Battery Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's the way the world is going. My parts places are old school type places with some equipment, I think one of them still turns rotors.

What one can do is hook a multimeter and if it has memory (lowest voltage) even better. Have someone crank the vehicle while monitoring voltage. If it dips below 10ish it's toast.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the battery test is well laid out in the workshop manual.
There is a subtle difference from what I stated earlier. Following the 24 hour rest, apply a small load (ignition and lights but DO NOT start the engine) then check the voltage on the battery.
Truly, many think there is a drain issue initiated from the vehicle when in fact it is just a depleted battery that can no longer hold a charge.
cheers!

stephenertelt

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. I did indeed buy it at O'Reilly's and they are the ones who "tested" it and said it was good. I don't have any way of actually load testing it but it's only a year old. I have to bring it in for a MAF issue, so maybe I'll have the shop run any tests they can run.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an inverter for a load test and then had to explain the scenario to OReillys before they would exchange the battery I claimed was bad for a new one since their test said it was good. A couple months after the exchange it turned out deep cycle lead acid batteries have a short life span with inverters by design and Lifep04 is the way.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are running a deep cycle as your primary or your 2nd battery is a deep cycle with a "regular" as the primary?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were they connected like with a traxide system?

That would be sweet for redundancy. I at first charged it with jumper cables and then moved away from using the vehicle at all. The best setup for me is a generator and a battery pack. I'm working on a DIY battery pack. Its a lot more of a never ending project than anything else. Its 12V and 304 AH with a bluetooth battery management system.

HGOQiq1.jpg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
A 304Ah Lifepo4 battery setup is pretty cool, unfortunately the Triaxide setup won't work with it. You'll want a DC to DC charger with a lithium profile to properly charge it. I have a Redarc BCDC1225D with solar input to keep my secondary fully charged at all times and I love that thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72