Battery rundown protection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a point in where you start opening doors and the interior lights stop coming on. I reach that threshold pretty much every camping trip. Never had a dead battery.

I also don't lock my car until I sleep or go away from my campsite, so it is unlocked most of the day. I know we tend to overanalyze some things on this forum, but this battle isn't worth it. Carry a reliable lithium jump starter and don't worry about it.

A battery disconnect would be the best solution if you don't need to lock the vehicle.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the front doors a light also illuminates the ground as well as the computer waking up and powering on the displays. Its an expensive operation to open the front doors. With the auto dome light off, the doors still light up the ground.

The battery disconnect would work. The impact is my clock would need to be adjusted each time. It would cost less long-term to use the battery disconnect because that approach would be saving the energy in the battery instead of spending the energy on needless stuff and trying to keep the battery topped up with energy from somewhere else.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Another good solution, I've been tempted to do this but have not gotten around to it.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I helped Lensun with the very first LR3/LR4 hood solar panel fitment. The first panel was off by a lot hitting the spray nozzles. The first one that fit correctly, I still had to dremel the nozzle holes. Anyhow, that $400 hood solar panel slowly died under a year and completely died 1.5 years later. I was offered a 30% discount on a replacement when I first reported it. I said all that to say, don't get the Lensun version.

I ended up relocating my spray nozzles to the wiper arms and fitted a cheap $75 Amazon special on top of the broken Lensun panel on the hood. Looks clean enough and it works. Don't mind my dirty truck.

20231217_154955.jpg

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the Lensun, that's unfortunate. Solar panels should last a lot longer than that. Hopefully the Cascadia 4x4 is better. Did you change the wiper nozzles when you relocated them, and are they still heated?

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am certain that the ecu is not fired up until the start button is pressed as stated in the owners manual. Now I need to double check that.
I do like the idea of segregating via a switched fuse…. so many fuses in so many locations… it might turn into one of those lifetime projects, lol.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am certain that the ecu is not fired up until the start button is pressed as stated in the owners manual. Now I need to double check that.
I do like the idea of segregating via a switched fuse…. so many fuses in so many locations… it might turn into one of those lifetime projects, lol.

It may not in the LR4, but I was speaking specifically of the new Defender. A few people have purportedly killed their battery while out in the sticks.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since all the modules are on CAN Networks, once a door is opened they all turn on.
The red light in the hazard switch will let you know if the vehicle is asleep or not.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the new Defender they need to evolve the system and add a city/country mode. It is convenient to get inside and have it already booting up with the lights on, but that isn't practical when camping.

Going back to this, I think it probably could be as simple as a firmware update. Land Rover is beaming down software/firmware updates to newish vehicles as it is, so make this a priority. Give the vehicles a "camp mode" that turns off the "auto on" functions when the doors open. It's kind of gotten to be a big deal online in youtube and other places, so if Land Rover was paying attention I'd have to think they'd be on it.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the Lensun, that's unfortunate. Solar panels should last a lot longer than that. Hopefully the Cascadia 4x4 is better. Did you change the wiper nozzles when you relocated them, and are they still heated?
Unfortunately, it's not heated any more. I live in Southern California and I rarely have a use for it to be heated. Up in the snow, I use my heated windshield. So, I'm not too concerned about using my windshield washer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72