2000 Disco 2 Leaking transmission fluid after change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menefee1029

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2000 Discovery 2 in January. Because I just got it and not sure if the previous owner had changed the tranny fluid and filter, i did it myself yesterday. As I drained it, I noticed it had about 3 quarts in the pan. I changed the filter and the fluid, took about 6 quarts before I had any come out of the fill plug. I capped it off and drove around the block(about one mile). This morning I had a puddle of fluid on the garage floor. If I were to guess it was about 10-12 ounces. I then drove to campus and again more fluid on the ground- about the same amount. I drove home, it operated well and checked underneath. I can't see any obvious places where it is coming from.
Is it possible that I overfilled it?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you fill it twice, once with the engine off and again with it runing in park? How many total quarts did you install?
How many miles on the truck and when was the last major service done on it?

Menefee1029

Reaction score
Thanks Mike for your help....After further inspection I found the source of my leak. The shaft to the front differential must have broken on the previous owner and that put a small dent and hairline crack on the transmission case. I had it repaired and all is well with that issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635