Fluids change after 9 years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LandRobert

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2015 SCV6 LR4 with 13,400 miles on the ODO. I'm thinking about replacing the ATF, transfer case and brake fluids because they're about to get 10 years old and not because of mileage. Do you guys think this is advisable? And if so, should the ZF transmission adaptation values be reset after de ATF change? There's some kicking sometimes when shifting but that may be due to cold ATF.

Thanks a lot!

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I would go ahead and change everything - of course only OEM fluids...
Don;t overlook coolant as well.

I did pick up somewhere on this forum NOT to change the adaptation values for an ATF fluid change, that adaptation values should be changed only when mechanicals are changed.
At least that's what I intend to stick with when I change my ATF fluid.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did pick up somewhere on this forum NOT to change the adaptation values for an ATF fluid change, that adaptation values should be changed only when mechanicals are changed.
At least that's what I intend to stick with when I change my ATF fluid.
Correct.
Disconnecting the battery cable for 15min, will reset the adaption.
Reflashing the trans module is where you can run into issues.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would flush the brake fluid and change the engine oil. Then at 40k I'd do gear oil and tranny fluid.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Advisable?" Yes!
I have 2016 with 23k miles. I checked the JLR maintenance schedule some time ago for important items that supposedly 'timeout' regardless of mileage. Ten years is certainly a milestone. My thinking is just do it...relatively cheap insurance with these machines:

- Change brake fluid every 3 years.
- Brake hoses 6 years.
- Change coolant every 10 years.
- Belts: SC 8 years, primary 10 years.
- Spark plugs 6 years.
- ATF fluid and filter 10 years.
- Transfer case oil 5 years.
- Rear locker oil 5 years (with HD pack).
- Front and rear axel oil (non-locking diff.) 10 years.

Not sure that's all, but covers the main stuff. Are they too conservative?...I doubt it, given the recommended (liberal) oil change interval.

Then there's the cooling system..mainly the problem pipes and hoses. Need to monitor closely, but it appears they tend to degrade and fail at the POC's, maybe abruptly. Definitely a concern as I plan on keeping it for a long while. They may 'timeout', so I will probably have them done preventatively.

Last edited:

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur, @LB Bill . Especially the part about it being “cheap insurance”.
Btw, I think you only missed power steering fluid and supercharger oil.
;-)
I'll add to the budget. I get the wisdom of the fluids and lubes, but can't see doing 'spark plugs' until there seems to be an issue? Save those $'s in case one of the coolant pipes starts spewing before 40K? (SMH..LOL).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM