2000 Freelander WONT START!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amcmanus

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 Freelander from a car sales guy here in Ireland. We have had it all of 2 weeks and for 1 week of that it has been parked at a local shop because it wont start! I was getting into the car and deactiviated the alarm. Then as soon as I put in the key the alarm started going off and lights were flashing etc. So obvisouly the engine became immobilised which was very bad news because the garage we bought it off did not have the security code to remobilise the engine. We contacted Landrover Ireland who were extremely unhelpful but eventually after proving we owned the car a local Landrover dealer got the code for us and we happily remobilised the engine. We were delighted with ourselves except no sooner had we driven down the road got out and got back in again the car wouldnt start again. So thinking we had somehow immobilised the engine again we tried the code again...and tried the code everyday since and car still wont start. :mad:

So after several phonecalls, I spoke to a Landrover service mechanic who told me that the problem was more than likely the starter and to go to a regular garage and get a regular mechanic to have a look and take it from there. :help:

Is there anyone out there who know what is going on with our car? It seems it could be a long drawn out process of trial and error! As soon as it back on the road I'm getting rid of it. Feels like hard earned money has just gone down the toilet!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...:confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have the battery checked to make sure it isn't bad... I would agree with having the starter tested, but it could also be the ignition switch... or the starter relay.

amcmanus

Reaction score
Thanks Joey, waiting to hear from a mechanic now!!!

I'll let you know how we get on!!

:wink:

amcmanus

Reaction score
problem solved

Hi Joey,

Just to let you know the problem was very minor. It cost me all of 25 euro, it was a loose wire going into the starter. My new mechanic is great, really knows his stuff, good thing too because I'll be going back to him this week!!! We have a new problem - TC, ABS and Hill Descent lights are all on on the dash, from researching other sites I believe it could be the brake pedal switch? Hopefully this doesnt cost too much!

Thanks!

Alva

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99