2000 LR D2 Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stripe

Reaction score
2000 LAnd Rover Discovery II just short of 200k Miles.

Was driving one day when engine just quit. No warning. Tried starting again but no go.
I was able to push it to a parking spot to try and troubleshoot the problem.

I tried everything I could think of. Checked all the fuses and I mean ALL, lol. I even swapped relays from the seats to the fuel pump (they are the same relay). I sprayed Starter fluid into it and it fired, if not temporarily so I am sure I am getting spark. I eventually towed it home using my RV as I have the D2 rigged for flat towing.
Got it home, still would not fire, just turned over. I plugged it into a charger overnight as I was killing the battery trying to get it started. Next day I went out to disconnect the battery and try to see if it would fire over and sure enuff it did I also noticed the Service Engine Soon light was on. I turned it off and tried again and no go. Turned over but no bang. Fast forward to next day, just for kicks thought I'd try it again, and it started and ran, NO service engine soon light. I was enthusiastically skeptical. I let it run to see what would happen and sure enough it died on its own. Tried to turn it over and again no firing, and Service Engine Soon Light was on again..
I keep reading about the CPS but does this sound like a typical CPS problem? (As if the LR's have "TYPICAL" Problems).

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the fault code numbers you are getting and at your mileage it could be the CPS or fuel pump relay, or the pump.

Stripe

Reaction score
What are the fault code numbers you are getting and at your mileage it could be the CPS or fuel pump relay, or the pump.

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to say I had my comp checked and it returned NO error codes. I thought, how could that be? I have the Three amigos that I never cleared.
I asked the guy if there was a chance the unit he used was broke and he said no.

I got a CPS last night from autozone and will install today, hell or high water.
As you know (I envy your LR experience) the seat relay and fuel pump relay under the hood are the same and I still had a no fire situation.

I will let you know what happens after the CPS install. I had a similar problem with my Porsche 944 while back, but with the 944 there was no cooldown where it would work again then die.

Wish me Luck..

Last edited:

Stripe

Reaction score
So, I replaced the CPS and so far so good. NO stall-outs and have been able to restart after driving. Did a 2, 5 then 10 mile drive about and no problems.

Will post pics and description of work done in a new topic if one doesn't already exist.

Stripe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM