2001 Disco, cylinder 8, engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afchiefw

Reaction score
My 2001 Disco (130K miles) basically still kicking it EXCEPT after recently getting the head gasket changed (where the local mechanic that I have a good opinion of talked me out of doing more to the engine while in that state of disassembly because it was working fine, and scoped the cylinders prior to putting it all back together) now can't get the SERVICE ENGINE light to go out. My plates expire this month, and I can't get a smog cert if the light is on...

The code points to, and mechanic says, that NOW there is enough of a leak past the cylinder/piston ring that it won't clear. Spent ~ $2,000 (had some other work done) on the HEAD GASKET job, that now is all for naught. Getting quotes of upwards to $4,000 to fix. Like I said, seems to run great (and the light will sometimes actually go off, but not enough to pass the CA Smog test) and I love my Disco. Any thoughts other than spending the $4k on my $2k valued Disco?

2001 Discovery.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What codes are you getting

logstonc

Reaction score
In Texas you can run and pass emissions with two tests still not cleared by the computer after resetting codes, so I just reset my codes, keep the gas tank above 3/4 so the emission tests by the rover's computer don't run and throw the light, drive for maybe 100 miles while keeping the tank above 3/4, then go get it inspected and it passes, three years in a row now.... I guess the rover's computer is more strict then the states inspection here? Don't know if that would work in California, but maybe worth looking into. If it runs fine I would sell it in another state before dumping 4 grand into it.

washburn1919

Reaction score
308 is a cylinder 8 misfire.

i know you have a good opinion of your mechanic, so no offense to him or her but what evidence did they have that the head gasket needed to be replaced. i can't tell you how many times i've heard about these things getting head gaskets replaced as the first choice rather than the last.

they've gotten a reputation for blowing head gaskets, undeservedly in my opinion. they don't blow for no reason and if they DO, fixing the head gasket is like a $2000 version of replacing a fuse. it's just gonna blow again unless you fix what caused it. if the gasket was actually blown, you should make sure your block isn't warped or cracked (which IS a problem in some of these).

sorry to say this, but it's such a pain in the ass to get at the coil packs and wires in this thing that they can reasonably charge you $500 or $600 to address that. but like i said, it's such a pain that for not a whole lot more work (they're halfway there once they get the manifold off to get at the coil packs) that for twice as much work they can charge you 5 or more times the money.

scan your codes again. if you get a 308 (or a 30anything) swap an ignition wire (on both ends). if the problem goes to the new cylinder, it's the wire. do the same with a plug.

are you also getting a P1590? are the "three amigos" lit? those will keep your CEL on and you won't be able to clear them with your own scanner (depending on your mechanic, they may not even have the right scanner). in any event, the 1590 won't keep you from getting inspected. it's not emission related.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72