2001 Discovery SE constantly WHINES!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

ggushee

Hello All,

A month ago I purchased a 2001 Discovery SE (55,000m) from Land Rover Encino, CA. On the way home I noticed the SE was making a continual whining sound until I accelerated up to around 35-40mph. As I travelled up into the Hollywood Hills where I live I noticed an increase in the whining sound. Going down hill the vehicle doesn't make the whining noise. It seems to be only noticeable when I step on the accelerator. Even when I start the vehicle it goes into this whining noise. Sitting in the garage and lightly stepping on the gas pedal it whines continuously.

The next day (within 24 hrs of purchase) I returned to Land Rover and was advised that no one was available to check the vehicle and would have to return a week later. I did so and within a couple of hours was told the noise I was hearing was from the ACE Pump. Otherwise, all is well with the vehicle according to their 120 point certfied auto requirements.

I am not convinced that it is the ACE Pump. The whining noise is loud and continuous. Other forum comments have told me that the ACE pump noise is only when going around corners and spiratic. The ACE Pump does not whine continuously.....IS THIS THE TRUTH!!

Others have suggested it is normal transfer noise.....ANY COMMENTS TO CONFIRM THIS.

One person says to check the IDLER Pulley for the S-Belt. Idler Pullet??? I don't mind suggesting this to the service department, but I do not want a room of laughing sales people because I asked a stupid question.

People have also said that because the whining noise is apparent when the vehicle is started in the garage it coud be a leak or crack in the intake hose from the air cleaner.

The bottom line is I am confused. I appreciate the feedback, but what I need to know is comments specific to other people whom have had similar experience and what the resolve was.

Please, someone give me some ideas that I can raise to the service department when I take the vehicle back on August 2nd.

I would like to think that since they ran this 120 point Certified Auto check that the diagnostic tests would tell the mechanic if a hose, idle puley, Ace Pump, Transfer Case or Differential was failing. Wouldn't this test tell all is ok with the vehicle.

Please someone tell me the contant whining noise is just a common sound from a 2001 Discovery SE and you just have to get use to it.

I await information from anyone.

I am most appreciative and thank you in advance for your comments.

Fondly,

Gordon Gushee
Los Angeles, CA
[email protected]

G

ggushee

Hey Gang,
I received emails from members of the EDMUND's Land Rover Forum and three individuals advise me that the constant whining noise I hear is from the transfer case and I just have to get use to it. The Discovery is a gear-driven transfer and not a chain-driven transfer, thus there is a constant whine which will decrease over time. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS!!!!!

As I am starting to think I have been worrying over nothing.

Thanks,

Gordon

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't under the impression that the tc would be in operation if the car was sitting still. You described the noise as being present while sitting still in your driveway/garage. That doesn't jive with the tc, for me.

D

disco1

I agree with the person who suggested checking the idler pulley, and, you can mention it to the service people with confidence.
The whining sound is caused by the bearings going bad and is more noticable when the engine is under acceleration and load. After you reach and exceed 35-40 mph, the engine rpms are much less, therefore less tension on the pulley, and especially when you reach cruising speed. This also explains why you do not hear the noise as you coast down hill.

FWIW, Land Rover have a recall as featured below. If it's found that this is your problem, you could try hitting them up for a "gratis" fix. Also, there is no time limit on recalls.

Vehicle Recall Details

Reference : R/2000/052
Manufacturer Ref : 216
Make: LAND ROVER
Model : Discovery Series II
Launch Date : 6/5/2000
Numbers Involved : 4765
Build Start Date : 8/27/1998
Build End Date : 4/4/2000

Details

Concern : ENGINE IDLER PULLEY MAY FRACTURE
Description : The engine idler pulley may fracture and fragment, resulting in loss of drive belt which in turn will render the cooling, power steering, ACE and electrical charging systems inoperative.
Remedial Action : Recall affected vehicle and replace idler pulley with modified type.
Vehicle Id : YA200611 to YA277051
XA900000 to XA907212

Hope this helps.

G

ggushee

Whining / Contacted Land Rover North America

I called LRNA this morning and raised my concerns. They advised me that the Discovery should NOT be making a whining noise upon start-up and whining continuously. They are making notes and have asked me to follow-up with them after my service with Land Rover Encino on August 2. I told them my difficulty is the fact the Land Rover Encino is extremely busy as it is the largest Land Rover dealer in Los Angeles. And perhaps they just don't have the time to adequately inspect everything. They also advised that I should request a techncian to ride with me so that I can properly explain the sounds I need to have clarified.

I will keep all advised.

Gordon

G

ggushee

Thanks DISCO 1

My 2001 Discovery SE vehicle ID# is ..............1A704330. Do I still fall under the guidelines for the recall for replacement of the ENGINE IDLER PULLEY??

Thanks, Gordon

D

disco1

I'm not sure, however, I'd hit up your local dealer with the info, and press the issue. Good Luck.

G

ggushee

When the dealership runs the computer diagnostics......would the results show if the bearings were going in the idler Pulley, transfer case wear or even a crack or leak in the intake hose from the air cleaner. Should I assume that if the dealer tells me the diagnostics say "ALL IS WELL" with my Discovery, then I should not worry about the noises or whines I hear? Or are items I mentioned, items that the technician must review manually??? Thanks, Gordon

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
a computer diagnostics will show nothing for bearings and such....

The whine is either the idle pulley, or the ACE... If you don't like the sound... tell them so and get you money back.... if they can't fix it for free that is.... :)

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id say thats a normal sound... Especially during hot days.. In temperatures under 60-65F the rover doesnt whine, when its humind it does..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112