2001 RR Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

fbrems

My RR is a 2001 Model 30th Anniversary with 40.000km which so far did not gave me any trouble in contrary to my Disco which is more in the garage than on the road. (ref.Disco threads) As I got the car from new the Maintenance/Guarantee coverage took well care of everything which is now approaching to an end and I planned to maintain the car myself. I changed my Disco gearbox and almost every part of the engine myself, so I assumed that the RR will be similar if it com's to access. Well it is not. I am seriously struggling to change the oil filter. The filter is visible but a hard PVC protection cover is fixed with 4 screws to the frame and NO Way to get that removed. Pls.do not tell me that I have to remove the torsion and streering arms first to reach that cover.

Any advise will be most appreciated.

F

fbrems

Hey anybody there!!!!

Is there really nobody with a RR who ever changed his oil by himself. I started wondering if there is something wrong with my Thread? Is it!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the thread, just never changed the oil on a RR yet. If it was me, I would stop by the local dealer if there is one and ask how they do it... most will gladly tell you how things are done so they don't have to mess with it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '99 and don't have a clue what pvc cover you're talking about, so I haven't been able to help. I would have thought 2001 was the same. Mine is as simple as it could be. Sorry.

F

fbrems

How to change your filter

With 122 views, I am a bit disappointed not to receive any reply how to change an oil filter on a 2001 RR. Everybody talks about shocks. What a difference with the Disco threads. Do we have to conclude the RR owners do not work on their SUV's.

Well I do and if any RR owner model 2001 and above like to change his oil, hold yourselves. First you shift the shocks positions in high (off-road) if the compressor works, the truck clearance between wheels and frame is than in its highest position. and Yes you have to dismantle the steering rods in order to remove the protection plate screwed with 4 screws to the bottom frame.

Replace the filter and reverse handling to assemble. This operation is Not mentioned in the RR manual, so it is assumed to be done by the dealer only.

The dealer in UAE was kind enough to give me a free demonstration.

Talking about English Engineering practice.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch, sorry to hear it was such a pain to change the filter.

Wish I could have helped more, but until I purchase a RR I don't know the differences that well.

One of these days I will have a RR..... I have a Dream...... and then I got muddy.

R

RovnP38

fbrems, I'm not put'n this forum down or anything, but if you really want help with your Range Rover, your best source of help and information to search would be on RangeRovers.net... It's the Range Rover owner's bible if you prefer, and if you can't find what you need on the main site go to the forums and search the database of threads, or if it comes down to it, post a new thread and you will recieve the help you need.

And by the way, I don't know what in the world you're talking about with some pvc cover over the oil filter. I'm sure a lot of other people are confused with the same thing. As far as I know, or atleast on mid late 99+ models the filter should be easily accesible, with plenty of arm/working room.
I, along with a lot of other forum members change my Rangie's oil quite often.
Actually I wouldn't let anyone but myself change my Rover's oil....
But I'm still confused about your pvc cover question.
I would love to see a picture of what you're talking about.
Sorry no one's helped you out yet, but like I said RangeRovers.net is the home for all Range Rover owners...Check it out, and let's see a pic or two.

F

fbrems

Thanks for the info and I appreciate your concerns. Actually, I verified with RR Net and RR threads and it seems I am the only one with such a Range Rover. I just changed the filter, but next occasion I will get some photos and hopefully there is an other way than what the dealer recommended or I could figure out so far.

F

fbrems

Sorry, but I could not wait and I do not like to look like a cone head either. I took the RR to our company garage and we tried again. We have mechanics from Philippines and they are very handy. So we got the RR set in Off Road position > all shocks max extended (I am wondering how you do this with fixed spring shocks) and tried to remove the PVC protection cover. NO way. Our mechanic tried from the back as the filter is well visible but far away and he could reach but burned his arms. He assured me that he can remove the filter with a cold engine without dismantling the steering rods. But for sure that is definitely not the practical way to do it. As requested I attached two sample photos for reference.

Attachments

• RR1.JPG
    RR1.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 39
  • RR2.JPG
    RR2.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads