2002 Freelander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nico

Reaction score
Sad to say that I have to get rid of my '95 Disco ( 176000mi) because it has began to heat up despite thermostat change, cooling system flush etc. Needed to buy a replacement vehicle in a hurry and found an '02 Freelander at the dealer's. The price was interesting, especially since they gave offered a good deal on the trade in. The Freelander has 114000 miles. Since I made up my mind to buy it (I pick it up on wednesday), I've been reading reviews and have been scared to proceed because there are so many bad reviews. Can anyone tell me if the Freelander is really as awful as many say it is?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to say this about any Land Rover product, but unless you get an extended warranty... you can expect to replace the engine...

Nico

Reaction score
They also have a 97 RR HSE on the lot, 118000mi, approx $7K. Would that be a more dependable vehicle?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would prefer the HSE RR, but to be honest if you want complete dependablility then I would suggest several other makes.

But if you want a Rover, then I would rather have a RR then a freelander.

ToiletDuck

Reaction score
I purchased my 04' freelander w/88k miles. For $2500 I purchased an additional 100k warranty for the engine and power. I don't know how long people are going on an engine before replacing them though. I hope the warranty will cover that.

happyhippo

Reaction score
I've read ALL of the bad stuff on a few different forums and it almost had me convinced I better off my 03 SE FL as soon as possible. But the truth is I've had very few problems with mine and still running smooth and strong at 52k. I've taken excellent care of it though and don't drive it like I'm in a LeMans. If your gonna be out climbing trees in any SUV you should count on the service that's going to follow. I think it's obvious there are some inferior mechanical items in the FL but I also think your going to hear more from people that have had problems than you will from those that don't. As far as one with 117k on it, I'd think twice about that. Ask for service records.

Shermie

Reaction score
Freelander 02 to 06 = STAY WELL CLEAR... The new LR2 is probably a better car.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72