2003 discovery 2 A/C not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcrawford

Reaction score
I have a 2003 discovery 2 with just under 100k miles. The AC hasn't been working for a while. It quit blowing cold air and then quit blowing any air at all about a month later. I had the blower motor wiring fixed (blown connector above the blower motor) which got the air blowing again, but still no AC. I thought since it had 100K miles that it might be time to charge the AC. When I went to charge it, there was still plenty of refrigerant. I just checked the compressor and the clutch is engaging. I'm at a loss as to what else might be wrong and how to check.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you verify the amount of freon in the system, didi you use a set of gauge, what was the pressure?

bcrawford

Reaction score
I used a friends gauge to check the pressure. I don't remember the exact reading, but it had a "Green" zone where the pressure should be. It was on the higher end of the green zone. I have never charged an AC system before, is it something I should double check. What should the reading be?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the engine running when you checked the pressure, how about the clutch, was it turning?

bcrawford

Reaction score
I'm not sure, it has been a few months since I checked it with the gauge. it is a secondary car so I didn't worry about it during the winter. I didn't have any experience with it so I let my friend check it. I will purchase a kit and check myself tomorrow.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ou might want to talk with me, your lack of experience will get you into trouble.

bcrawford

Reaction score
Any advice on things to watch out for on this particular model? I have done quite a few projects, so not the beginner DIY. I usually do my own repairs as they come up on my own vehicles. AC is something that I have never had to deal with before. I try to follow the repair guides on autozone.com pretty closely, but I know there is always something not spelled out in there that takes the experienced know how to make it easier.

bcrawford

Reaction score
I checked with my friend over the weekend. His pressure gauge read around 40-44 PSI on the low side when the engine was running. Should I go back and verify what has already been done, or will the problem be elsewhere?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635