2004 Disco or 2001 RR 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3&SD

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used early 2000's Land Rover for daily driving and towing my fish house out on the lake...maybe even some light snow plowing!

I have been researching the center diffs in these vehicles and it appears the Disco has a fully locking center diff while the RR has a viscous limited slip center diff.

I would eventually put ARB lockers in the front and rear axles.

Does anyone have experience with these vehicles to suggest one over the other for my appilcation?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about snow plowing, but it would also depend on how long of a drive and how big of a boat.

LR3&SD

Reaction score
The towing would be limited to a couple miles and the fish house is pretty light.

I like the looks of the old Range Rovers more, but I like the center diff of an 04 DII...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Center Diff will be extremely helpful if you plan to off road with you Land Rover, if not either will be fine for short towing... keep in mind it is only rated to pull around 5k lbs in high range. For either of them.

For over all ride and comfort the RR will be a better choice, but if you plan to off road I would go with the Disco... also you can get up to an 02 in the older body style RR.

LR3&SD

Reaction score
Is there anyone making a locking center diff for the P38's?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not positive but I think you can swap them between a Disco and a P38.... I am pretty sure it has been done before.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99