2006 LR3 V6 engine performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y

yanr

Hi there, has anyone bought the new v6 model and would like to share general comment on power (both drivinh and towing), mpg . . etc etc.

D

dronedog

i do not own one but i drove one as a loaner. i am not sure how you feel about acceleration and power but i thought it was fine. if i were you i would drive one and see what you think though because that is truly a subjective opinion. the one thing i did notice was that the mileage was not really any better than the V8. the only other thing i noticed was the engine seemed a little louder during acceleration. but that could have just been this particular vehicle.
my thinking would be if money is not the issue and mileage is not that much better, i'd go V8. but that is me.
the dog

F

Freeflytim

x2. Had a loaner V6 a couple of times and the truck is louder (Ford engine) and much slower than the V8 (Jag engine) and MPGs were the exact same (crap). So why? LRNA introduced it 'cause they needed a trim leval sub $40k ala the Disco2 which it replaced.

People that own a V6 will say 'Ive got enough power' but owners of V8s will say 'yeah. fine. keep telling yourself that but my truck is still faster and gets the same mpgs so why??'

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xcursion

Tim is right. The V6 engine is basically a Ford Explorer engine. Old tech and been around for a while. It is a cost effective choice for LR to lower selling price without developing a totally new engine. The V8 is from Jauguar and has newer technology and cleaner so it acheieves the same mpg. If you can afford it, get the V8.

S

Sodium

Hey guys, I have the new '06 V6 SE and I am loving it. The power is sufficient for my tasks, dont go off-roading much... but the engine does sound louder when driving up hill compared to a V8 I had tested. The RPM's stay well under 3 when driving normally and my stop and go MPG has been around 13-15mpg. After talking with friends and reading these forums there was just something about the $50K+ price tag that coerced me into getting the V6 instead. I just didnt feel right spending that much on a newly designed model that had recalls and could develop problems later. Some may think it was a stupid decision, but I am problem free and loving this truck right now. The V6 is magnificent.

J

jackmac

I drove a V6 loaner, and was definately impressed with the performance.

MPG ratings are nearly the same as V8, so no advantage there.

However.... If you plan to tow, or if you plan to load way up with options that add weight (3rd row seating, full spare, etc), then the V8 is the better choice for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99