2008 LR3 question for me!!????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Dear LR3 fans/owners:
I'm new to this site of course, and I apologize for being "nieve" about the LR3 and any Land Rover product. I wanted to throw myself into this world and just yesterday was looking at buying a 2008 LR3.
I currently drive a 2009 BMW X6. I wanted something more beefier and better for winter months. I live in Columbus, Ohio (not Siberia).
So my question to you all is this:
1.)Is the 2008 Range Rover Sport HSE better than the 2008 LR3 overall and in the snow?

Overall--how do you guys feel about the LR3? Is it a good buy?
The one I looked at had 49,000miles and they were asking $38,000. Great shape interior and exterior wise.

any help guys?

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

While the LR3 & Range Rover Sport differ in many ways, the capability in snow & most offroad situations is equal. They share the same chassis, engine, terrain programs, and more. The Sport does have a more firm ride, but that's not going to have a real effect performance in the snow.

I think the LR3 is an amazing buy, I paid $19,999 private party for my 05 HSE with 46k ish on the clock & an extended warranty. Its been about 17 months since my purchase & even though I've had my share of issues, it's by FAR my favorite daily driver I've ever owned. I always look forward to driving it!

Oh, and buy one still under warranty, & don't let it expire until you get an extended form Ford ESP, or whoever you choose. If nothing else it's a huge point for resale value.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...have you driven one yet?

To me, the real draw to the LR3 is its off-road chops. If you aren't going to wheel it, I'd move on. That is my standard advice for people....because it generally requires care 'n feeding and for on-road use there are certainly better choices.

That said, both the LR3 and RRS will out-perform the X6 in the snow, for sure. The X doesn't have low range. Low range is very beneficial for controlling the vehicle and if you have hills in Ohio, it will help you to use engine braking instead of the footbrake. In my opinion, even HDC (available on the X series as well) is not so good on snow and ice.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
this one is really pushing the warranty then at 49,000 miles. 50K for Land Rover, correct?

Do you think that price is reasonable?

http://www.maglandrover.com/used-inventory/

Its the 2008 LR3 HSE white one listed with 47,926 (but it now has just over 49K).

thoughts?

The only 08 LR3 I found on that site was an SE with 20k + miles - although the listing indicates it's an HSE. Something must be mixed up somewhere.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you aren't going to wheel it, I'd move on. That is my standard advice for people.

Unless you want to be able to blow through *** holes & speed bumps without the slightest complaint from your mother in law or grandmother! :) I agree though, there are some additional items that need tending to. He is coming from a Bimmer though.... so he's probably become accustomed to that.

anthonysmith101 - You need to drive one if you haven't already.

Learth

Reaction score
I don't use it off road much. I bought it for the cargo space, styling, fold-flat 3rd row. It's the perfect cross between luxury and utilitarian. I wanted leather seats, high-end stereo, 4x4. I also looked at the Denali, but the lack of fold-flat 3rd row was a deal killer.

Reaction score
It's on the site....LR3 HSE 2008 47,926 miles under pre owned inventory under Land Rover.
It's white.

I test drove it twice yesterday. I really liked how it handled.

What is the standard maintence pricing like? Oil change--like what $300 on this after the warranty?

Mtnboy

Reaction score
I bought a '07 LR3 SE with 17Kmi for $33k with an extended warranty from LR. It was in perfect condition.

I have also seen '07 with ~28K for about $25 to 28k from dealers that specialize in lease backs. I have seen comparable HSE for another grand or so. These are in good, to fair condition.

Finally, shop around in the markets with lots of dealers. I bought mine out he bay area and I figure I savedabout $3000 over the local dealer here in oregon. You do get more hassle factor in working with the title transfer, but everything else was easy putting together a out of state sale.

As far as vehicle, I love mine. Third row and funtionality make this more of a utilitarian work horse than the RR. Drving in the snow is ******* paint and undercarrage. For a winter vehicle, I would go with a used LR3 and get a new 5 series for the summer and keep it for ten years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4