2009 LR3 HSE does not include 14 speaker logic 7 stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is well known, but it surprised me to see a couple 09 HSEs with out the extra speakers. Memory seats yes, but no power steering column. The window sticker indicated front park assist, cold climate, 3rd row seats, 2nd row climate control, and siruis radio were the extent of HSE package now.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and +$400 option for the color matched bumper and wheel arches

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Morris-

For a non-LR3 owner, but current shopper, where are the extra speakers located?

All things being equal, I figure it would be nice to have the upgraded audio system. But I'm not actively looking for it.

And I've seen so many dealer ads that are incorrect, that it would be good if I knew what visuals I could look for in a pic.

BTW, I did find another truck and called to put a deposit on it. But this one already had a previous deposit on it, so I'm 'next' in line. I guess the previous deal could fall through, but my search continues! : )

-jpl

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Morris-

For a non-LR3 owner, but current shopper, where are the extra speakers located?

All things being equal, I figure it would be nice to have the upgraded audio system. But I'm not actively looking for it.

The obvious extras are the "upper" speakers in the front doors (look at the back door, and you'll see the speakers there), and speakers in the D pillars that fire forward for the third row passengers. There's one other speaker as well, which I believe may be an additional sub (the SE level has a single sub in the tailgate), but someone else would need to confirm.

The front doors actually have the markings for the cut-outs in the SEs, so installation of these extra speakers may be a DIY item - there are speaker brackets specifically available to adapt aftermarket speakers to the LR3 available on eBay (or you can make your own for a few dollars). I plan on adding these speakers at some point in time this summer....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the LR3, but the RRS with HK Logic7 also has a front "fill" channel speaker located on the center of the upper dash, in addition to the mentioned rear surround speakers and active subwoofer in the tailgate.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every 09 LR3 in the US is an HSE vehicle, but if you want added features, you have to toss on the LUX package now. Definitely changes things up a bit, and can be confusing. I didn't see a better stereo as a LUX feature when I looked though.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the base stereo is sold in the us, but this list from the disco3.co.uk covers just about every difference:

Low Line (Base Spec) which comprises
low line head unit with a built in 4 channel amp delivering unknown wattage per channel.
6 speakers in total made up of;
2 mid/bass in front doors,
2 tweeters in front doors
2 full range in rear doors.
wired with;
1 pair of wires going to each door (4 channels).

Hi Line which comprises
High line head unit, 6 CD changer
Separate 6 channel Amp (AUD2C) under seat delivering 50 watts per channel
9 Speakers in total
2 mid/bass in front doors,
2 tweeters in front doors,
2 mid/bass in rear doors.
2 tweeters in rear doors,
1 Sub woofer in tailgate.
wired with;
1 pair of wires (channel) going to each door (4 channels).
2 pairs of wires going to the sub Woofer (2 channels)

Premium which comprises;
High line head unit, 6 CD changer
Separate 12 channel Amp (AUD4) under seat delivering 50 watts per channel
14 Speakers in total made up of
2 tweeters in front doors,
2 mid in front doors,
2 bass in front doors,
2 tweeters in rear doors,
2 mid/bass in rear doors.
1 Sub woofer in tailgate.
2 surround speakers in each rear pillar
1 center speaker in middle of dash
wired with;
2 pairs of wires going to each front door (4 channels)
1 pair of wires (channel) going to each rear door. (2 channels)
2 pairs of wires (channels) going to the sub Woofer (2 channels)
1 pair of wires going to each rear pillar speaker (2 channels)
1 pair of wires going to the center of dash speaker (1 channel)

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. As an 08 HSE owner, I now have a greater appreciation for how many speakers and wires are in this thing... :driver:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 2009 LR2 HSE loaner - Again HSE, but no NAV. The LR2 Alpine stereo is WAY better than my LR3 9 speaker stereo. Time for a sub upgrade maybe add real pillar speakers! Anyone know the part numbers for the rear pillar trim pieces (in alpaca)?

The LR2 also has a very good SUB, and you can run the radio at a decent volume with out running the engine. Im not a fan of the FM tuning though. Changing FM stations takes long time, I think because it is trying to find the HD-FM version. Also, no 10 key station input (that I have fidured out). The reverse/backup sensors drop the stereo and chime once every time I put it in reverse. Like the LR3, but much louder!

I wonder how much of this behavior is standard across all the 2009, or just LR2 specific. The bluetooth in the loaner was also much improved over mine. The 2009 LR2 displayed caller id with name and cell signal strength (mine does not). Is that normal for a 2006 LR3s? Most of the time my LR3 does not even display the phone number. Just a "1"

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 2009 LR2 HSE loaner - Again HSE, but no NAV. The LR2 Alpine stereo is WAY better than my LR3 9 speaker stereo. Time for a sub upgrade maybe add real pillar speakers! Anyone know the part numbers for the rear pillar trim pieces (in alpaca)?

If you happen to come across that part number, please post it - I'm interested for later this summer. For the front doors, note my post above - the speaker cutouts for the hi-line stereo are etched on the back of the door - apparently a fairly easy DIY addition (obviously amplying, etc, etc, is another story).

I wonder how much of this behavior is standard across all the 2009, or just LR2 specific. The bluetooth in the loaner was also much improved over mine. The 2009 LR2 displayed caller id with name and cell signal strength (mine does not). Is that normal for a 2006 LR3s? Most of the time my LR3 does not even display the phone number. Just a "1"

Funny - just noticed the single "1" for the first time (usually I see the full phone number) - it was on an outgoing long distance call and I figured it was just weird character wrapping on the screen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM