2013 key fob delaminating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI. This is the condition of my 2013's fob this morning:

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Happened pretty much overnight (or I didn't notice it until today), it felt a bit funny when I put it in my pocket this morning. Everything still works. Warranty should cover it per TSB # LTB00631NAS2 - Compact Key Handset - Lower-Level Service Repair.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Umberto.

I actually ordered a silicone sleeve for my fob that fits perfect and has really kept it like new. It allows the buttons to me pushed with no problem and really protects the key fob.

I always liked my 2011 key fob better, as it seemed so much more rugged.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Umberto.

I actually ordered a silicone sleeve for my fob that fits perfect and has really kept it like new. It allows the buttons to me pushed with no problem and really protects the key fob.

I always liked my 2011 key fob better, as it seemed so much more rugged.

-David

I agree, i wish they hadn't changed them. The hard plastic just gets beat to hell.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in the sun, the fob is either in my front pocket or on a desk at home and at the office. Sounds like Land Rover may be aware of a problem in the manufacturing process of these fobs though (probably the reason why they issued the Service Bulletin above.) When I had my 2006 Sport, the airbag cover on the steering wheel started detaching and curling up at the top, another known issue on early model year Sport / LR3s. At least the problem is getting smaller, lol.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens to one of my keys as well (2010). It was ok (kind of) during the winter but now that the temperatures have gone up again and that it's humid... It's back.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in the sun, the fob is either in my front pocket or on a desk at home and at the office. Sounds like Land Rover may be aware of a problem in the manufacturing process of these fobs though (probably the reason why they issued the Service Bulletin above.) When I had my 2006 Sport, the airbag cover on the steering wheel started detaching and curling up at the top, another known issue on early model year Sport / LR3s. At least the problem is getting smaller, lol.

I love the way you all "laugh" at the ongoing hassles with these issues. Good for you.

I wonder if, since they knew they had an issue, they fixed it in the 2014.

But, David, where did you get the cover for your fob? Sounds like a good idea to have it in any case.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume the problem was addressed on more recent builds, since the TSB only refers to a specific range of model years and VINs (including some 2014 LR2, Evoque, Sport and Range Rovers, but notably no 2014 LR4s.)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the way you all "laugh" at the ongoing hassles with these issues. Good for you.

I wonder if, since they knew they had an issue, they fixed it in the 2014.

But, David, where did you get the cover for your fob? Sounds like a good idea to have it in any case.
Hi Dan,

I got mine on eBay; of course it comes from China. I've had it for almost a year and it cleans up really nice and does a great job at protecting the key fob.

Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Re..._Merchandise&var=&hash=item338128c197&vxp=mtr

Also a few photos of mine:

C9BB3208-DB19-4D87-AF5C-BEFE94A073E5_zpspzc2gvrz.jpg

B3A64362-3C07-4A09-B26C-6AF0F0036D87_zpshis1tmyl.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's all wrong (it says Range Rover.) :smile: Looks nice and tight, I wonder if it affects the range of the remote at all? I'll definitely look into that sleeve after they fix my key.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99