2013 LR4 Rear Axle Fault, Stability control not available, Emergency brake assist not available, HDC not available system fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I wasn't sure what to make of the lens being glued on, but at least you don't need to take the roof off to get to mounting screws lol. For the tail light lens on my last car the bumper had to come off.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I did end up taking it to a shop and they said more or less what has been discussed here. Deal with P186d and go from there. So does anyone have any experience with the different options for the rear diff motor? The spectrum from $150 eBay special to $1800 at the dealer seems extreme.
Does your LR4 have the HD package? Am I right in thinking that would be the only way the rear diff would have a motor?

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Aderry late to the game here, I’ve been fully immersed in the Grenadier world.

I’ve had the same issue before. The actuator stepper motor can get stuck. Give it a slight tap with a mallet and see if it frees up. After that you’ll have to put the rear diff through a calibration test to reset everything. The clear any remaining codes.

Each startup the rear diff opens and closes and if the software detects any problem then it effectively tags out and you lose the air suspension, abs and traction control etc.

I’ve used a cheapie bay motor before. Just be mindful that the Land Rover one has a bronze gear wheel on the actuator and the eBay ones are steel. It’s a very easy thing to change over if you need. Just make sure you have the correct sealant to hand as there is no formal gasket. Just sealant with the metal on metal assembly.

The entire assembly is held on with 4 Allen head screws. 6mm I think. The hardest part is removing the electrical connector and jiggling the motor assembly out of the diff and from under the car. It’s tight in there.

Stu.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72