2014 LR4 lux delivery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right because LR is adding allot of curves to its complete US lineup for the expection of the LR4.

Funny you say this. My wife is all about the boxiness of the LR4. She wants to keep it forever.
I do like its utilitarian looks, but curves don't bother me much. Lack of visibility does. I spent a week with a Evoque and the view out the back is a little painful. Fun to drive when going forward ;)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how the "LRX" test mule (eventually the Range Rover Evoque) looked on the Nurburgring during testing just a year or so before introduction:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109092121917/land-rover-lrx-mule-spied

Bottom line is, we are way too early in the development stage to ascertain what the next Disco will look like. Those heavily camouflaged models will probably share little, if anything, in the way of body panels with the finished product that we probably won't see for another year at least.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you say this. My wife is all about the boxiness of the LR4. She wants to keep it forever.

I am not an SUV person per se. I mean I love them, but I've always shied away from them because I feel most of the time I would be better off with a sports sedan. So in the past I fought buying them and got sporty station wagons. But the truth is that when you need them they are invaluable and I love a proper SUV when you need it. This prompted me to get an old JGC with quadradrive II as a winter car when I got my Boxster. I just loved having it.

Needless to say, I love my LR4 far more, but long term, my plan is to keep the LR4 until I can justify a adding a sports sedan again. At that point, I will just keep the LR4 indefinitely for when I need it (winter/family vacations/towing/shopping/moving big items/carrying lots of people/etc), but not daily commutes. In short, I don't see selling it ever, and it has the classic looks to always be a cool SUV with lots of character even when it is 12-15 years old. Heck, a properly kitted 20 yo Disco still looks cool. Plus it it will be one of those "Hey it has a V8! Remember when they made those?" cool factor.

Plus, at 7-8k miles per year, forget my LR4 might only have 40-50k miles when I demote it to part-time duty (3k miles a year?). So it will be a well-mantained, low mileage, old LR4.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote, this is a great strategy.
While driving the loaner Evoque around for a week, it made me miss (a little) more planted cars but I still love the LR4.
The box design is timeless.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like how this thread has turned to assessing the direction of the "Disco" platform... To the OP - your car looks great, enjoy it! To the recent posters - What attracted me to the brand in the first place back in the '90s was the no-nonsense approach to off-roading, yet an elegance that made the car appropriate for a black tie dinner. Simply put, Rovers are classy workhorses. How cool is that?

I have now owned 3 (Disco II, LR3, LR4)and ALL have been tanks. Reliable, great in snow, and provide plenty of space for extended trips. We kept our Disco II & LR3 to 100k miles, then moved on. With the 2011 LR4 already at 87k, I am planning 150-200k. IT's that good.

My wife wanted a Range Rover over the LR4 back in 2011, but with a family the interior space was just not big enough. Along came the "Black Metropolis" package for the LR4, and she was in love...

I'm a Porsche guy, and own 3 911s. Reliability on the track is what attracted me to Porsche, and reliability offroad is what attracted me to Land Rover. And I know how extensive personal experience with both, so I'm in!

Only issue with Rovers? Gas mileage. I wish they would put a diesel in an LR4 stateside. We would own it in heartbeat. Putting 35k miles per year on our LR4, and averaging 15/16 mpg is not ideal. But with that said, the car still is worth it.

My $.02,
-B

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
I simply don't understand why LR or the G Wagen don't come in diesel in the US. I think the LR deserves a big V8 or diesel. I'm looking forward to test driving the V6sc LR4 next week but I think I'm going to feel it's really slow after getting out my blotted 200 series Land cruiser that has an endless supply torque

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635