2014 LR4 Leaking Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grasscourt

Reaction score
The Water pump is the issue.
The following is also recommended:
SUPERCHARGER BELT
WATER PUMP/ALTERNATOR/COMPRESSOR BELT
WATER PUMP W/GASKET
WATER PUMP TUBE
WATER PUMP SEAL
OIL COOLER
OIL COOLER GASKET
INTERCOOLER TO INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
THROTTLE BODY HEATER OUTLET HOSE
THERMOSTAT TUBE
THERMOSTAT HOUSING WITH THERMOSTAT
CROSSOVER PIPE
REAR WATER MANIFOLD
THROTTLE BODY HOSE
HEATER MANIFOLD

Outside of the water pump and the crossover. Does this all seem nessaccary or is this standard procedure?

Thank you for all your help!

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its interesting you need a new oil cooler. I'd ask ***. Rear water manifold and heater manifold might be the same things, aka rear crossover. I'd ask for clarification.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does appear that in this coolant leak situation, in which the water pump was described as the root cause; that everything that has contact with the coolant is being targeted for replacement… hmmmm, don’t know about that.

Along with the water pump and associated accessories; Gaskets, hoses (and belts if they were touched by coolant) I understand.

Then there are the maintenance issues. Are you behind in maintenance? Thermostat could be an example.

If the oil cooler is leaking, absolutely. But that is “if”.

Vehicles of today are very different than the vehicles of yesterday. There are many different materials used in an engine and the tolerances are finer. Changing the coolant is as important (though far less frequent, of course) as changing the oil. It grows acidic and loses its characteristics over time.

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its interesting you need a new oil cooler. I'd ask ***. Rear water manifold and heater manifold might be the same things, aka rear crossover. I'd ask for clarification.
I agree with this. Shouldn’t be any need to replace the oil cooler or it’s gasket, and it doesn’t need to be removed to do the rest of the work.

The intercooler gasket can be reused, but maybe it’s not too expensive (intake manifold gasket needs new).

The thermostat comes as one piece attached to a hose. I replaced my t-stat, but not everyone does. In any case, I don’t really think the other hoses mentioned need to be replaced, but up to you.

“Heater manifold” and “rear water manifold” should be the same part. That’s the rear crossover pipe - single piece/part - and I’d replace that if it hasn’t been done before.

“Crossover pipe” should be your front crossover, which is actually two parts (maybe one of those two parts is being referenced by “heater manifold”).

Grasscourt

Reaction score
Thank u for all your help! I’m up to date with oil changes. I’ve had the car for a year and 1/2. There haven’t been any issues until now. The thermostat was replaced upon inspection during the purchase process. I have a call with the lr mechanic on Monday to go through the estimate. I appreciate u guys going through the line items. It’s a big nut already and add the state inspection which includes a set of tires and rear brakes(pads and rotors)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they are…. not following you though.

No need to dump modern formulation HOAT or OAT coolants. They last a loooong time and if you are worried about acidity a quick dip with a pH strip will put your mind at ease or tell you it's time to dump it. In a Rover the coolant will easily outlast the water pump or coolant manifolds (crossovers).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72